Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new door but have a question

I had my rollup door replaced with a new door.....The new door only uses 1 spring...the old one used 2 springs.....The installer told me that the new spring is longer than the older spring and thats why the old door need 2 springs. He also said that the new spring can hold just as much weight as the old springs. Is that possible? Thanks for any info

new stuff nowadays - newer materials - I don't see why not!

Comment

one spring

It is certainly possible. If you have a roll up door, instead of a sectional overhead door, it is not that big of deal.

But for overhead doors, especially those that are 12 or wider, 2 springs really is ideal, because they are stretched a little causing a one spring setup to want to shift the torsion spring tube, which can cause abnormal wear on the shaft at the bearing plates.

With 2 springs you are also able to significantly increase life cycle of the springs. The cost difference is minimal unless you upgrade cycle life (one time up and down is one cycle).

Companies that use the one spring on a double door are usually the ones selling cheaper stuff.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by gdoorpro View Post
        It is certainly possible. If you have a roll up door, instead of a sectional overhead door, it is not that big of deal.

But for overhead doors, especially those that are 12 or wider, 2 springs really is ideal, because they are stretched a little causing a one spring setup to want to shift the torsion spring tube, which can cause abnormal wear on the shaft at the bearing plates.

With 2 springs you are also able to significantly increase life cycle of the springs. The cost difference is minimal unless you upgrade cycle life (one time up and down is one cycle).

Companies that use the one spring on a double door are usually the ones selling cheaper stuff.

Ryan
        The door that I got was a 16 x 7 sectional door that rolls up. (I always thought of a roll up door as the one that has the springs above it and not really thinking that a sectional door and a roll up door are 2 different kinds). The spring is a little longer than the one of the two other springs but I thought 2 would be better as well. But the installer said the one he put in is just as good as the 2 combined. Unfortunately I am no expert...

Comment

Working...
        X
        =