Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help troubleshooting garage door issue

this is a copy of an email I sent to Genie...I'm just pasting it here to try and get some immediate help...TIA

I have a Promax Chain Glide 2 garage door opener. Just recently it is having issues opening and closing. It appears as if there is a short somewhere. An example of the problem:
    Either opening or closing it will suddenly stop. If I push the button again it will go in the opposite direction. Sometimes it will go all the way, other times merely inches. It had been doing this for a week or so until just the other day when it would stop and there would be no power on the opener buttons in the garage. If I tapped the opener, the lights on the buttons would come on and I could attempt to open it again, sometimes with success, sometimes not. It will now no longer has power.

I have verified that there is power to the outlet it is using. I also have verified power to the circuit board by testing volts on the back of the circuit board at the soldering points of pins 7 & 8.
    I have tested continuity between pins 1&2, 1&3, 1&9, 9&2, 9&3
    I have also tested continuity at terminals 1&2 with the button depressed.

I am thinking that the problem could be either
    1) bad circuit board or component
    2) thermal switch overloading
    3) problem with the motor
    Probably most likely the circuit board because of the power not coming back on. I unplug the power and reconnect it and the unit still remains off. I would not think #2 or #3 would cause there to be no power.

I would like to get some advise on what else I can test and any ideas of what may be wrong.

Thank you.

Did you get this repaired, I just found this site and I'm retired after working 23 years in the residental door business.
    There are so many things it could be , yes circuit board, did you check your down and upforce settings. Check the safety lite beams they are aligned, make sure that one of the limit switches is touching the contact as this is a small piece of metal that grounds out to shut unit off.

Let me know if you got this repaired and I will try to help

Comment

I know it has been a while since your post but maybe it can help others?

I have two Genie Promax openers and I have had this same issue with them. What I found was a transformer soldered to the circuit board had cracked solder joints which would provide intermittent power to the system (door and wall switch). Sometimes the door would start to move then suddenly quit.
      If this is your problem, its an easy fix by anyone who can solder decently and does not require the door opener to be removed. Gain access to the circuit board to closely inspect the solder joints on the back side of the board at where the transformer is soldered to the board, You may want to lightly wiggle the transformer to see if the joints open up or if they move at all. If they do then you have found you problem! Then simply re-heat the joint to re-bond it and you may want to add a small amount of solder to the joint for reinforcement, but be careful not to add too much and allow the solder to touch any other joint.
      After repairing mine 3 to 4 years ago I haven’t had any problems. I think the problem was the weight of the transformer attached to the circuit board with minimal solder and the bouncing of the opener when the door was opened and closed fatigued the solder joints allowing them to crack.

Good luck with your repair.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =