Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sensor works on other door, could it be a wire short?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensor works on other door, could it be a wire short?

Hello all...first time poster, I am going nuts looking for an answer to my problem. I have searched high/low and tried many things but to no solution. I cannot see spending $163.00 for a service call to get a pro out to my house...maybe you guys/gals can assist!

I have a Genie Directlift Plus 3060 L that is barely 4 years old. I have 3 bays. One bay stopped working last week... The remote control has stopped working, i can open the door by the main panel by pressing the button once. But to close the door i have to hold the button. Otherwise it will attempt to lower, but reverse and go right back up.

I have one sensor solid green and one sensor blinking red (blink 2 pause, repeat). I have checked and checked the alignment, it does not seem to be an issue. I have cleaned the lenses. I switched the blinking red sensor with a solid red sensor on another bay but it still will not work. So that tells me the sensor is not the problem.

I have checked the connections (wires to screws) on all of my sensors and the motor up on the ceiling. All connections seem ok. I checked the connections behind the main panel as well...seems ok there.

Has anyone seen this before? Could there be a short in the wire somewhere? If so, how would I even begin to find this?? Most of the wiring is behind the sheetrock!!

I thank you all for reading my (long) story, and really appreciate any help/advice you can give!

2 flashes on Red: Wiring to STB Reciever Missing or Defective
    STB Reciever Defective

You also can check :you will need to lite gauge wire, will have to test wire behind wall ,Disconnect the existing wire (note and mark wires) Run a jumper from one beam to the other, You can disconnect the wire on the motor head and install this temporary wire to be the feed on the lite beam.
    See if that solves the problem, if it does staple wire to celing and wall.

Red Lite is Transmitter
    Green lite is Reciever

Allways have your operator pluged into a surge protector

Comment

Originally posted by John1949 View Post
      2 flashes on Red: Wiring to STB Reciever Missing or Defective
      STB Reciever Defective

You also can check :you will need to lite gauge wire, will have to test wire behind wall ,Disconnect the existing wire (note and mark wires) Run a jumper from one beam to the other, You can disconnect the wire on the motor head and install this temporary wire to be the feed on the lite beam.
      See if that solves the problem, if it does staple wire to celing and wall.

Red Lite is Transmitter
      Green lite is Reciever

Allways have your operator pluged into a surge protector

Extremely awesome advice, thank you so much. I took the Reciever and swapped it with another that I know works...and that fixed the first door....so it must be a bad reciever? I ordered a new set from amazon and should have them by early next week.

Also, the idea of just stapling to the wall and ceiling is so outside of the box for me...i never would have though of that...thank so much!

Also...i have three doors w/ three openers...each plugged into 3 receptacles in the ceiling...you're saying i should get 3 surge protectors (from walmart or whatever?) and plug them into each receptacle? Thanks again!

Comment

Glad I could help,
        Purchase 3 separtae surge protection recp.and plug operator into each. Before I retired I would carry them on my service truck and sell them to homeowners that I went out on service calls for a minium amount.
        People just think about surge protection for a garage door operator.

Comment

I bought replacement sensors from amazon for around $30 bucks....fixed my problem The transmitter had gone bad on me, thx again for the help!

Comment

If you are going to buy a surge protector, be aware that you should use a garage door opener specific one. This way you can protect the motor head form surges that come from other sources such as the photo eyes during a thunderstorm. Liftmaster make one that will protect better than your average surge protector. I have personally seen this happen.

Ryan

Comment

All surge protection devises and can be over loaded with a lightning strick, a surge protection device is only a helpful tool to help protect the garage door operator. I live in Houston area and we get alot of lighning and thunder storms and have I never heard of anyone with a surge protection device having a problem. But with a direct shot of lightning, nothing will save the house or operator, surge is for electricity.
              Retired garage door servicemanof 23 years

Comment

Working...
              X
              =