Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end bearing plates

One of the torsion springs broke on my ten year old door. I paid $200 to have both springs replaced. The repairman wanted to replace the center and end bearings (w/o plate) for an extra $130. When he started talking about replacing all the rollers, I told him all I wanted was the springs. I doubt the end bearings need replacement, but I'm very handy and the replacement looks simple.

It looks like one can swap out the end plates with the springs under tension, but I was hoping a pro could verify that there is no danger.

Thanks in advance

NO! Do not switch out plates with the spring under tension. The springs have enough force to pull up that garage door. Take the time to properly remove the tension before replacing the bearing plate. BTW- bearing plates don't usually go bad and only require a shot or two of silicone lubricant around the bearings. Avoid getting the lubricant on the cable or drums.

Comment

Originally posted by kencraw View Post
      NO! Do not switch out plates with the spring under tension. The springs have enough force to pull up that garage door. Take the time to properly remove the tension before replacing the bearing plate. BTW- bearing plates don't usually go bad and only require a shot or two of silicone lubricant around the bearings. Avoid getting the lubricant on the cable or drums.

+1 and be careful with the the springs. read up or get a friend who has some experience. Stay clear of him if you suspect he is taking on more then he can chew.

Comment

Originally posted by kencraw View Post
        +1 for that as well, they usually don't go bad, and remove tension before working with the center or end bearing plates

Comment

Working...
        X
        =