Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I wanted ground cover, I would choose dirt!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I wanted ground cover, I would choose dirt!

Help! This is the second season that this is happening to me. Not only don't I have much money from the outset, but I have been gainfully unemployed, so now, I have to really do things on the cheap! I have read what I could about the lawn weed and feed sprays and bags to spread and have tried it for the past two seasons. Don't have a large enough lawn for a riding mower, so I don't have an aerator and now, can't afford to rent one. I wonder if this is the only way that I can get rid of all the weeds that I have instead of actual grass on my lawn. Is there a way that I can get my lawn back and kill all the weeds that aren't supposed to inhabit my property???

I hear you—dealing with lawn weeds can be tough, especially on a tight budget. Here are some cost-effective strategies to reclaim your lawn:

1. Manual Weeding: Although it’s labor-intensive, hand-pulling weeds can be very effective. Make sure to remove the entire root to prevent regrowth. Tools like a weeder or a hand trowel can make this job easier and are usually inexpensive.

2. Mulching: Applying a layer of mulch around your lawn (if you have garden beds) can help suppress weed growth. Mulch blocks sunlight from reaching weed seeds and helps retain soil moisture.

3. DIY Aeration: Since renting an aerator is out of your budget, you can create small holes in the soil using a garden fork or a spade. This helps improve soil health and allows nutrients to reach the grass roots.

4. Top Dressing: Adding a thin layer of compost or topsoil can help improve soil quality and encourage grass growth. This can be done by spreading it evenly over your lawn.

5. Vinegar Solution: For a natural herbicide, you can use a solution of white vinegar and water. Apply it directly to the weeds, but be careful not to spray it on your grass, as it can kill it too.

6. Proper Lawn Care: Ensure your lawn is getting the right amount of water and nutrients. A well-maintained lawn is more resilient and better able to compete with weeds.

7. Overseeding: To encourage grass growth and crowd out weeds, consider overseeding your lawn with a high-quality grass seed. This can be done with just a hand spreader or by scattering seeds by hand.

These methods can help improve your lawn without breaking the bank. It might take a bit of time and effort, but with persistence, you should start seeing some positive changes. ​

Comment

Working...
    X
    =