Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crabgrass inhibitor - just delaying the inevitable

I put down some crabgrass inhibitor earlier this year and so far uor lawn has looked "great". It's really not great but it is compared to last year. I put it down on May 19th and it's supposed to work for 3months. I guess that time is nearly up and you can tell because now there are all sorts of weeds growing up through the lawn. Looks like I will be spending some hours out there today plucking what I can. My question is, can weeds grow at any time? I thought the idea of the inhibitor is to stop weeds (I should say crabgrass) germinating at the time of year when they typically germinate thus preventing them altogether. It appears as though I have simply delayed their coming by a few weeks. Is that other people's experience too? I know that building a strong lawn takes a a looooong time. Our is patchy and needs reseeded but I can't do that until the fall now. I'm hoping that we have a thicker, fuller, stronger lawn over the coming years.

quote:Originally posted by Max

I put down some crabgrass inhibitor earlier this year and so far uor lawn has looked "great". It's really not great but it is compared to last year. <snip> It appears as though I have simply delayed their coming by a few weeks. Is that other people's experience too?
    You shouldn't have trouble with crabgrass this season, but other weeds will pop up, sure. Everything I've read indicates four treatments per growing season, each addressing a different concern. I'm no professional at it, but near as I can tell if you're consciencious a good lawn can be had. And you're right in thinking of it as a long term project; two years at least.

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

Comment

Yeah, I really need to get Phase 2 into action FAST.

Thanks, Max

Comment

Working...
      X
      =