Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mums

The mums I planted last year came back early summer.They thrived maybe too much.They are over taking the bed.Can I cut them back or preferably cut them to ground level and will they rebloom for fall like I intended?

Hi Longdog, The mums I have do try to bloom twice a year. I usually don't have time, but when they come out in the spring, what you should do is keep them trimmed back when you see them trying to bloom. Just trim them back or keep them about 6 or 8 inches tall so that they don't produce blooms in the spring, and they will divert all their energy to growing wider not taller. Mine just get tall and leggy by the fall, and then fall over from being top heavy. But, by now they are probably trying to bloom again. Just let them bloom for fall and just cut them back next year in the spring to about 8 inches tall and pick off any blooms that start, then let them grow towards fall and produce blooms. Don't cut back to ground level at any time. Cut back to about 4 inches after they bloom in the fall. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =