Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sod Lawn - Seed Heads????

I live in the Pacific Northwest and have had a commercially grown sod lawn installed for about 3 years now...The sod mixture was 60% Perennial Ryegrass / 20% Hard Fescue / 20% Kentucy Bluegrass. Last year I noticed seedheads starting to appear a coulple of days after cutting in early May... This year they appeared earlier and in larger amounts... Some seedhead areas sre large enough to detract from the lawn.. I have been told by neighbors that they will go away as soon as the lawn starts its' summer growth but I don't know... The lawn is fertilized on Scott's lawn care schedule, and water is not a problem. I have attached a picture of what the spots look like... an anyone enlighten me on what is going on?

That is Poa annua. It is hard to control in the grasses that you have listed in the fact that all of those are cool season grasses. Most herbicides are going to kill the grass as well as that weed. We use to say in turf school that one year of seed equalled seven years of weeds. It is tough to control. Alot of golf courses fought to keep it out of the greens and just ended up converting the greens to it instead of trying to kill it. Get in touch with your local golf course superintendent to find out your options in your area. I am sure he/she has and does deal with it.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =