Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining walls - over 6', but DIY?

Hi all,

I've been doing a good bit of research on different gravity wall systems, and not many of them seemed to be geared to the DIYer.

The big problem I'm having is how to go about building my 'tall wall'. I have a flat lot from side to side, but it slopes down from front to back, such that the ground level in the front is just at about the floor level of the first floor of my home, whereas the ground level at the rear of my home is at floor level with the basement (and slopes down from there).

I would like to build a wall approx 10-15 feet away from the rear of my home so that I can build a deck on the back of my home, and to help level my backyard. This wall will need to be (in my best guesstimation) about 10-12 feet tall.

I understand very little about the 'slope wedge' or whatever the term was describing how much stronger tall walls have to be, and am wondering if it's possible to build a series of shorter walls (plateau's) to circumvent the use of geogrid and, more importantly, engineers and/or retaining-wall professionals.

My question is this. If I build 2 to 3 short walls of less than 4 feet in height, and step each successive wall back 2 feet or so, can I build this wall without the use of a professional? And can I do it without Geogrid?

Lastly, can anyone suggest a larger-style gravity wall system which still falls within the realm of a DIYer with a decent mini-excavator (lifting requirements are tough to meet on these). Some that I have seen are Stone Strong, Redi-Rock, Ultrablock, etc. They're on the large side which is good for fast installation, but bad for weight limitations (which is a major factor, since I have no road access to the rear of my home).

So, any suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance for any answers and or comments!!!

- Meje

Hope this helps

Meje,

I recently had to build thee retaining walls (1 x 3ft & 2 x 1 1/2ft) and the below helped me, I hope it helps you also.

It depends on the brick some times, but here is the rule of thumb I was told.
    Over 2 feet with large amounts of weight behind it, you need geo grid. Heights over 3 need it no matter what.

If you live by a Menards store they have a Kiosk that will print out for you a layout of what you should do. Or you can go to there suppliers web site and they have some how to's (Midwest Manufacturing).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =