Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to redo my lawn

im trying to redo my lawn, back and front i live in deer park new york , the question is do i turn over the dirt on my lawn and what seeds should i use, someone told me its not a good time in june, to wait until september, but someone else told me its ok, so im not sure, and do i need anything else to go with the seed once i plant the seeds, HELP PLEASE

I live in NY upstate near the canadian border. While you can spot seed anytime, a full lawn planting should be in early fall or early spring because of the summer heat. Scott products have never been wrong. BUT that new product they advertise on TV, the one that has seeds interdisbursed in its own fertilizer interests me. For preparation use a Troybilt heavy duty tiller and go down at least a foot, taking out rocks and old grass. Have the soil analyzed for additives you might need.

Comment

looking to redo my lawn

The last time I logged onto this website - I saw your question. At that time - I elected not to reply because I am far from an experienced yard care person.

I have to agree with what HayZee518 had written - but to add to that - since you have access to the Internet - I would suggest that you visit the Scotts website - you will find a wealth of information at there - at no cost to you.

Comment

I found that source of that grass seed on steroids - here is the url:

try this

Comment

Hope my opinion heps. I have lived on a farm most of my life and have planted lots of grass seed as well as renovating lawns. To start with follow the advise for fall planting, it willl save lots of work, reseeding, and weeding, as well as money. Spring is to unpredictable and summer comes to quickly for young grass that cannot handle hot weather, at least in the middle of the country where spring weather can get into the 80 degs and summer weather can hit as early as late May. You will need to roto till your lawn well when the ground is dry. If you have good soil (soil that- when it dries out, is a nice brown color) go ahead and plant. If you do not have that great of soil or just want to make it better, I would order some good quality top soil by the dump truck load. Good soil will be well tilled and be a nice dark brown color. Spread this out at about 2 in. thick all over. Next I would go to a local feed supply store (much cheaper) and buy your grass seed by the pound. 50 lb. bags usually recieve a discount. I buy whats called a lawn mix. It will have 3-4 different kinds of seed such as blue grass, rye and different fescues. All being cool weather grasses. Some will grow better in the shade, others in high traffic areas, others in the sun. Cover lightly with straw and water 2-3 times a day lightly for about a week or until the seed starts to sprout well. Then cut back to every other day or so with heavier waterings. Just do not let the grass get too dried out. You can use a starting fertilizer when you sow the seed or anytime there after. Start mowing with a push mower ( due to its lightweight) when the grass gets about 2 or so inches tall and mow at a height of about 2 inches for healthy grass. Over winter, the roots will continue to grow creating healty grass plants. Next spring fertilize with a spring fertilizer. Fertilize agian in the fall (every fall) with a fall time mix to provide nutrients needed for winter root growth. I usually overseed at least once a year, meaning I throw out some grass seed over the existing lawn. Because as you know grass plants will produce thier own seed unless mowed. This method has always worked well for me. Remember its not rocket science like the fertilizer co. and seed co. want you to think. Its a natural process of nature and a nice lawn only requires seed, water, good soil, and nutients. Oh, and Labor!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =