Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with a new Husqvarna push mower (long)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a new Husqvarna push mower (long)

Hey everyone,

I'll preface this by stating that lawnmowers have been a major source of frustration for me over the past five years. They seem so fragile these days no matter how careful I am. A mechanic friend told me not to buy a mower sold at WalMart, so I took their advice and bought a Husqvarna mower at our nearby Ace Hardware.

The mower itself is a mulcher/bagger equipped with a Honda OHV 4.5 HP engine. Since it was $20 cheaper than comparable mowers on the rack, I thought it was probably last year's model that didn't sell. The deck was clean and showed no signs of having been used. There was no indication that the mower was reconditioned or used, and the manual was sealed up inside the bag. The workers took the mower back into the shop to check and make sure the oil was filled that that it would start. All seemed well and I made the purchase.

I got it home and unloaded. I checked the dipstick just to make sure and added a tank of fresh gas. I checked the manual to make sure I knew how to get everything started properly and gave it a whirl. It started right up. I started mowing, and got through one row of my small yard when the mower started surging and quit. I tried to start it, and it ran for about three seconds and quit.

So, I ran it back to Ace with the receipt and explained what happened. The service people had another look at it and said that they thought it was possible that it didn't have enough oil. So, they added oil, started the mower, and all seemed well.

I got it back home, but it did the same thing as it had before. So, I ran it back to the store yet again. By now, the service area was closed, and I had to leave it. All this took place in about 90 minutes.

Of course, the service person who was supposed to work Saturday morning called in sick. So, I've shelled out some serious dough by my standards for something I couldn't use all weekend. Frankly, it's quite disappointing and I'm glad I used a credit card to buy it just in case I have to use its warranty coverage or even more drastic measures, and that's not my normal way of thinking.

Does this sound like normal Husqvarna behavior to anyone out there? I bought the mower thinking it was a safe bet, but am beginning to wonder now. It's put such a bad taste in my mouth that i'm tempted to pursue getting my money back

Thank you,
    -Bill
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

Once again, the mechanic was not there. The 2-stroke mechanic said that it sounded like the mower was shipped with a defective coil, and would be repaired under warranty. But that involves sending it to another repair shop. Here it is Monday, bought the mower Friday, and have used it to mow about 10 feet of my lawn. I was able to bring the Craftsman I'd all but given up for dead back to life, and wish I could get my money back on the Husq.
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

Comment

because it is new, off the shelf, the warranty is stillin effect. Walmart better honor your request to return it. It's not like it was in your possession for a year and out of warranty. make a stink about it.

Comment

I am sure ACE will take back the machine and call your credit card and have a stop payment on that bill.
        Tell ACE you stopped payment and DEMAND SATISFACTION.
        But the problem doesn't sound like coil it sounds more like a vacume in gas tank.
        Make sure gas caps vent is working propery.
        I do this by taking cap in hand and cleaning it off as best I can and blow, with mouth, air though it from outside to inside.
        Gerry

Comment

I agree sounds like a fuel problem to me. Are you sure that you are turning the choke back to the off positon after the motor fires up? Sounds as if it may be choking down. From my dealings the old huskqy products that were made in sweden were good. since some of the stuff is now being made in US I have heard some bad stuff about that brand.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =