Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faux finish for exterior brick

I have a question on exterior brick painting. I am thinking about painting an unpainted brick home and was wondering if its possible to create a weathered look with a faux type paint. Does a product like this exist?

Hi:

I live in NYC where this is done quite often.

I'm actually painting the brick facade of my brownstone (pale yellow), as we speak.

There are a few things you should be aware of, though.

1. Both the brick and the mortar need to be in good condition.

2. You should prime the surface well before painting.

3. If you have crumbling areas and don't want to replace huge sections of brick, you can "mud" it up with a reinforced stucco and then paint. This gives a really nice, "old world", carriage house look.

4. Consider "Whitewashing" the brick. This allows some of the brick to come through, while hiding flaws.

5. If you go for a pristine, painted look remember that it will probably need to be redone in about 5 - 7 years.

Good Luck.

David

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What type of product do you use to whitewash brick? This sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Is this just thinned out latex paint?

Comment

Yes. But make sure you use an exterior paint.

Also, keep in mind that in deliberately not adhering the paint to the entire surface, you are setting it up for a gradual wear off.

You should use a stippling technique when you apply the paint.

If you take broad strokes and try to wipe/dab it off (as with an interior plaster wall) you'll create a huge mess. Brick is a little tricky to paint and it sucks up the product quickly.

Practice on an inconspicuous area first.

Good luck.

davids

Comment

quote:Originally posted by davids

Hi:

I live in NYC where this is done quite often.

I'm actually painting the brick facade of my brownstone (pale yellow), as we speak.

There are a few things you should be aware of, though.

1. Both the brick and the mortar need to be in good condition.

2. You should prime the surface well before painting.

3. If you have crumbling areas and don't want to replace huge sections of brick, you can "mud" it up with a reinforced stucco and then paint. This gives a really nice, "old world", carriage house look.

4. Consider "Whitewashing" the brick. This allows some of the brick to come through, while hiding flaws.

5. If you go for a pristine, painted look remember that it will probably need to be redone in about 5 - 7 years.

Good Luck.

David

Comment

Hi Everyone,
            I am in a panic...I had white paint sandblasted off brick this week. I am very unhappy with the result! I have a lot of white grout left. My question: Do I repaint the whole thing and say goodbye to $1100? Or do I do some kind of a wash...it just needs to be toned down. WHat color do you suggest for red brick with jarring white grout?
            Thanks,
            Antonia

Comment

Hello,
              I'm looking to do the faux finish (white wash) look on our brick home, did anyone try the exterior latex paint, stippling technique. My neighbor suggested there may be a lime solution?!
              thanks

Comment

Working...
              X
              =