Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home restoration/decoration

We are currently about to step foot into the world of home restoration and decoration and would love to share and receive ideas on how to accomplis each job. I thought this would be exciting because it would be a shared accumulation of ideas to decorate a house. For some rooms and features we already have some themes or ideas but welcome input or suggestions to come up with the best result.
    The first area that I welcome ideas on is the exterior of the house. It's an old brick house that looks like it's getting tired. We'd like to bring it back to life somehow but not sure what to do. We have basic ideas like tear out the huge tree on the front lawn and taking out that grotesque indoor/outdoor carpet on the steps. I thought about painting the brick but then got stuck.

That is a great house to fix up! I like the color of the brick, so I don't know if I would paint it, although it would look great.

First of all, what needs to be replaced? Sometimes with a remodel the best place to start is the things that need to be fixed. Does the trim need painting? How is the roof? You can make enhancements on things you have to fix anyway and save some money in the long run.

I like the idea of removing that tree and the carpet on the steps. It is a small yard, so some landscaping shouldn't cost too much and will add a lot of curb appeal.

Is that a arched window on the left? Looks great, removing that tree will help show that window, which is a great focal point. What other great little features could you bring out?

Keep us posted, and show some more pictures!

Try
    Try

Comment

Thanks "Troy"! The roof is pretty good. I think they're 25 year shingles and don't look bad at all. The trim could surely use painting but I think it needs more. When the home was new it probably looked great on the exterior but time has taken its toll. The front window is in fact an arch window and the top part is original 1920's stained glass which we don't want to touch at all. There isn't really too much else to draw attention to on the exterior other than the porch which could also use a facelift.
      The interior is a different story though. It is just ooozing with character and amazing woodwork leading up the huge open staircase which we are going to strip down and restore. We are going to be taking loads of photos and posting them to share our progress.
      Needless to say we just bought the place and are itching to get started.
      quote:Originally posted by Troy

That is a great house to fix up! I like the color of the brick, so I don't know if I would paint it, although it would look great.

First of all, what needs to be replaced? Sometimes with a remodel the best place to start is the things that need to be fixed. Does the trim need painting? How is the roof? You can make enhancements on things you have to fix anyway and save some money in the long run.

I like the idea of removing that tree and the carpet on the steps. It is a small yard, so some landscaping shouldn't cost too much and will add a lot of curb appeal.

Is that a arched window on the left? Looks great, removing that tree will help show that window, which is a great focal point. What other great little features could you bring out?

Keep us posted, and show some more pictures!

Try

Comment

Working...
      X
      =