Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint brick &concrete stain --Please Read

We are planning to put a pretty dark brown roof on our house. We'd like some advice on painting the brick exterior. My picture is so dark that you can't tell, but we have stone on the front, 2 or 3 different colors of brick on home (due to the fact that the house was moved 30 years ago), and white aluminum siding on the back where a porch is closed in. We want to paint the brick, due to lack of money for any other options. Just wondering if you have any ideas or suggestions to add a little "curb appeal"? We have pretty taupe colors in mind, have any of you that painted brick regretted it later? If ours were all the same color, we wouldn't even consider it.(although we really don't like the colors at all) I would like to remove the rod iron in front. On the stone, could anyone tell me if concrete stain would work as well as paint? I would like it to match the taupe, but also still keep some of the stone's 2 tone look. One last question, will we have any trouble painting the aluminum siding?? It is a major eyesore.. Hoping it will blend in with the brick after it's painted. ANY suggestions are welcome -- I will not be offended!!
    Thanks very much!

Painting the siding is a lark to do. Use a power washer and get the special cleaner from the local box store for prepainting. There's a dip tube from the washer that goes into that jug of cleaner and sucks it out as you wash the wall. There's directions on the bottle for this. I believe it's in the paint isle. May also be in the power wash products isle. It cleans the old chalk off very well and etches the paint for adhesion. I believe the paint we used ws an alkyd enamel. Might be wrong on that, but you can talk to the paint people at the desk and they'll steer you in the right direction. You'll need an airless sprayer to apply it. We did ours ten years ago and it still looks new. As for painting the brick, and, for that matter, the stone, I would power wash that, too. Use a spray pattern that covers about a brick height at a time and go slow without concentrating too much on the mortar joints. That sprayer is able to drill that mortar! Eye and ear protection is must. Face protection is best. A hot day to do this spay stuff on is great, too! You'll see that brick and stone in a whole new light when it's cleaned! You copuld then paint it. Don't see why paint on stome wouldn't work. Graffitti seems to hold up a long time on some of the buildings I've seen! And that's WITHOUT prepping!

Comment

Thanks for your info. I wonder if you or anyone could also tell me - If we take the rod iron down, is it really necessary to replace it with columns? The porch is roughly 22-24 feet long, would it be safe to just leave them off?
      One more question and I'll stop! lol What exactly is the difference in concrete stain compared to just regular paint? Does it have a more transparent appearance, just leaving a hint of color, or does it go on thick?
      Thanks again!

Comment

Usually those types of 'columns' aren't structural, except for holding the typical awning. BUT!!!! Without checking for sure, I'd be reluctant to just pop them out. As for the concrete stain and brick paint, I would go to a good paint supply store and throw the questions at the pro's there. Painter's Supply has just about everything about paint and stain there is....

Comment

Working...
        X
        =