Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting new preprimed steel door

I have a new preprimed steel door I plan on painting. I am using Valspar latex satin exterior paint and plan to apply it with a sprayer.

There is an oval window in the center of the door with plastic molding around it.

Questions:

Will spraying give me the best results for this application.

Can the window molding and window be removed or should I Just tape around it?

Thank-you

New steel doors that are preprimed. I would lightly sand and put two coats of paint. Two coats of paint are much better than one thick coat. It will last longer and be more durable.

Comment

on the second part of your question. Spraying will give you the best result if you are good with a sprayer. I suggest testing out your spray pattern on a piece of cardboard. This way you can work the kinks out. Also thicker paints can be very tough to spray so make sure you have the proper orfice to spray it. Thinning paint down is a last resort due to the fact too much water will make your paint worthless.
      Second ya just mask the window off and go to town.

Comment

In regards to painting the plastic molding. The door manufacturers do not recommend painting the plastic molding. This is because if a darker color is used the molding will disfigure and warp (darker colors will get hot). If you are painting using a light color you should be fine. I would first apply a primer similar to Pittsburgh Paints Seal Grip Acrylic Primer and then two coats of your finish.
        Last edited by paintboy; 11-23-2007, 06:21 AM.

Comment

good follow up paintboy.

exactly dark colors couldwarp it those plastic moldings dont really need to be painted. I have a similar door and I lightly sanded and painted light brown after using sealgrip excellent product.

Comment

Well I am not sure about the quality of Valspar latex satin exterior paint but if you are using this paint then I suggest you to make your door painted double coated.

Comment

for steel doors I would recommend 100% acrylic latex so that it will be able to expand and contract with the extreme heat metal doors will retain. Paint quality is good to a point. I would never recommend spending over 30 bucks a gallon as well i would not recommend spending money on a exterior that is not 100% acrylic latex. If you get paint that is extremely thick it will be impossible to spray with out thinning which is not good. If you drop down and get a good quality exterior 100% acrylic latex you will be able to spray it and it should have built in levelers to even out the finish and help it lay down with out adding anything to the paint.

Comment

painting

I would mask off the windows and not use a sprayer -- you'll save yourself a lot of hassle, as they tend to get paint all over.

Comment

on some doors the "mullions" just snap in place. remove these if you paint and use the blue tape to mask off the glass to molding area.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =