Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to paint aluminum soffet with holes

This soffet is 40 years old, and has some light corrosion. Half the paint is gone in places. The are slots with indents. When I tried to use a smooth roller it filled in some airslots. Would a extra smooth roller work or will it have to be spray painted?

Should I use rust stop and enamel, or combination primer/paint? Latex?

Thanks. Bob

what is it made of? metal? if it is rusting I would look at a rust inhibiting primer/ rust stop. Then latex topcoat.
    Of course it is always best to remove rust first.

Comment

How do you keep the holes from filling with paint? I'm sure enamel was used originally so a primer would have to be used in order to switch to latex. That means two coats and bigger chance to fill in holes.

Comment

the original paint was probably electrostatic or powder coated then baked. IMO spray painting allows a thinner coating and less hole fill in while accomplishing the problem of continued corrosion protection.

Comment

hello all,
          Well, it sounds like you have some good answers here. Did you get it taken care of yet?

I am sure it makes a big difference if it is metal or not, but I would say be sure there is no rust on it. I do like to use primer for those situations, and then decide which paint for durability.

Comment

I told the owner it would take a lot of time to do it right and it depended on how good of job she wanted. Since there is corrosion I couldn't guarantee how long it would last.

She decided to just wash it and let that part go for now. Not many people look up anyhow. Thanks.

Comment

Hi
              Wash off any dirt and chalking,the best you can and then apply a good quality paint. I think spray paint is a good way to paint aluminium soffet with holes.

Thanks
              Last edited by James.King; 08-11-2010, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Soffit paint....

I wonder if they managed to finish it in two years? Sounds like some of MY projects!!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =