Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted ceiling, 1 area peeled away...

I painted the kitchen ceiling this past weekend because I replaced some Sheetrock in a certain area. The area I sheetrocked came out fine but another area peeled a few hours later. The spot is about 8 inches by 3 inches. I had put 2 coats of fresh ceiling paint on with about a 2 hour wait between coats.

I will let the paint dry a few more days to make sure it is completely dry but here is my question:

After I scrape away any loose paint from the edges, should I use a little bit of joint compound to fill in that area and then paint or should I just sand the area and then only paint that spot again? If I use the compound will that area be a little higher after I apply the 2 coats of paint? That is what I am trying to avoid.

h**p://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/The_House_photos/Ceiling/?action=view¤t=IMG_0184Small.jpg

Thanks in advance, Joe

you could try a thinned down sheetrock compound, use it as a skim coat. this way you won't have a built up area but will have an adherent base for your primer coat.

Comment

Thin the sheetrock compound down with a little water?

Comment

yeah, it'll dry to almost the same surface as dried sheetrock compound. this will give you a base for primer.

Comment

Was the area of sheetrock that you replaced a result of water damage? Cause you may have not gone wide enough with the repair, if the paper peeled. I would try sealing the area a bit wider than the patch you made with a KILZ oil primer. Then apply your skim coat and paint. This will seal out the moisture problem if there is one which is peeling your paint. Unless you're using a special paint, I think 2 hours a good wait time, it should have peeled on you.

Comment

sorry late on this one but I would not use Oil primer on dry wall it will fuzz the paper. use just your normal drywall latex primer then paint. Just make sure you remove all the loose dry wall dust.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =