Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting or coating a steel roof?

My fiance and I are getting a house with a relatively new steel roof (5 years old I believe). However, I hate the bright red metal roof and was wondering if it can be painted or coated? The pitch is rather high as well, so I don't know if a coating would work on it. If it can be painted will it need to be primered first?

I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything I can be sure about. Hopefully someone will know the answer to these questions

If the roof is fairly new then it's painted process isn't a standard "paint on metal" finish and while almost anything "can" be painted this might not be an ideal or cost effective solution in your case. Chemicals to etch and then prime before painting would need to be applied first (red is a difficult color to cover at the best of times). Many roofing paints applied outside of a factory will not have the "lasting power" of the factory applied products.
    In many cases new roofing manufacturers in the US are using a powder coating system to apply the paints to their roofing material. Powder coating is chip resistant, will not peel off and has a high degree of fade resistance.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hi
      I think painting is far better than coating for a steel roof. The best and safest way to paint a metal roof is to hire a professional to do the work in a safe, convenient, and timely manner that will not damage the appearance and structural quality of the existing roof.
      jensensmarketplace.com

Comment

Thank you for the answers, they are very much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by James.King View Post
          Hi
          I think painting is far better than coating for a steel roof. The best and safest way to paint a metal roof is to hire a professional to do the work in a safe, convenient, and timely manner that will not damage the appearance and structural quality of the existing roof.
          jensensmarketplace.com
          I have to disagree with one point....painting is most definitely NOT a better method than coatings finish like powder coating, for the very reasons I listed in my OP.
          Having said that, the advice that roof painting is best done by professionals is right on the money. IMO this kind of work is not even for the serious DIYer.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =