Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file conversion is garbled

I'm using XP on a Dell 4600. Lately any file conversions using MS word comes out garbled. I tried using the 'best picture' setting but it didn't help.

Anyone know what is wrong? Thanks.

What kind of files are you trying to convert?

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup View Post
      What kind of files are you trying to convert?
      One was a job description online.

Comment

I have a Dell 4600 with XP running on it. I use Microsoft Word 97 on it and have no problems. It saves everythign with a .DOC extension. What your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          I have a Dell 4600 with XP running on it. I use Microsoft Word 97 on it and have no problems. It saves everythign with a .DOC extension. What your problem?
          Mine has Word 2002. Most things come up ok but some things like a window opening up from a job description comes up garbled. It give you the choice of opening word, DOS, and something else. There was a post on another forum and other's had the same problem but no solution.

Comment

Ohhh the problem might be an RTF (rich text file) word doesn't recognize the file extension.

Comment

It has something to do with PDF files. There is a reference to differant language choices on it. I tried to find some Adobe updates but nothing worked.

Comment

I have adobe 8. All PDF files should open under ANY Adobe reader program doesn't matter which version. What are the files extensions you are trying to open?

Comment

I went to Illinoishighpower.org, clicked on schedule, then 2008 schedules. The window that comes up is garbled. I believe it has a pdf extension to start with.

Comment

I opened up your address url in another window then clicked on the schedule. a pdf came up and I clicked on that. a new window opened up and the high power schedule from april this year came up. had no problems scrolling down screen. if you click on a pdf file, adobe is working in the background and should open up the pdf, unless, itself is corrupted. go to www dot filehippo dot com and d/l an adobe reader file not the beta test file.

Comment

you can try to download the latest version of adobe reader:
                      Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

you might want to try uninstalling your current version first.

you can try an alternative to adobe, such as foxit reader:

Foxit Software

You should also see what is your default pdf viewer. Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types and see what is associated with .pdf

You might also try downloading the file, then open it natively with your pdf viewer. Instead of clicking on the link, right click it and save as onto your computer.

Let us know what works...
                      Try

Comment

HayZee,

The download you put me on to down loaded ok. I didn't uninstall the original and the new one worked ok. So it was corrupted.

It said some of my PDF files were blocked and told me where to go but I couldn't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy View Post
                          you can try to download the latest version of adobe reader:
                          Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

you might want to try uninstalling your current version first.

you can try an alternative to adobe, such as foxit reader:

Foxit Software

You should also see what is your default pdf viewer. Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types and see what is associated with .pdf

You might also try downloading the file, then open it natively with your pdf viewer. Instead of clicking on the link, right click it and save as onto your computer.

Let us know what works...
                          Troy,

I couldn't find folder options in the control panel.

Comment

you go to START - CONTROL PANEL- ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS - Look for ADOBE reader click the ADOBE file name and remove then install your new file

Comment

You can also get there by opening windows explorer (windows key + e) and going to tools > folder options.

Originally posted by ba_50 View Post
                              Troy,

I couldn't find folder options in the control panel.
                              Try

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =