Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman 33-gallon Air compressor accessory

I have the vertical model. I bought an automatic tank drain kit form harbor frieght.

I was wondering if any one has installed this thing on their compressor?

I stopped short of the install once I had to put a "T" on the pressure relief tube.

it senses a pressure change and opens a valve momentarily to release any condensation.

seems like a very handy thing since i don't always always have the time to drain: pull the ring, wait, then get down and open the drain cock to remove the water.....

I stopped short because putting the "T" in would be modifying my comressor slightly.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 08-31-2011, 05:43 PM.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

the automatic drain valve goes where your existing condensate drain valve is - bottom of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the automatic drain valve goes where your existing condensate drain valve is - bottom of the tank.
      Yeash, I know that much but like I said in the post , well actually it isn't very clear, my question is whether installing a "T" on the Pressure relief tube...oh, here is my face book post:

The manual is not too clear either.The only consolation s the pressure relief tube (#21) is not really pressurized as it is on the other side of the check valve from the main tank (non compressor side). http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...dMod=919167312 so what it looks like is simply placing a "T" on part #21. What comes with the kit is a nylon hose with pressure fittings, but I think I will retro fit this thing with the appropriate metal tubing down to the fitting at the base.

Will installing this "T" degrade performance or make the unit unsafe in any way?

Thanks for looking.

Comment

I have a craftsman vertical compressor with what I believe is a forty gallon tank. The compressor body is fastened to the top of the tank. There are two ports coming off the top of the tank. 1) a small diameter aluminum tubing that goes to the unloader on the pressure switch. 2) a quarter inch pipe that goes to the pressure switch T fitting. Off the side of the T is a nipple, another T and a quick disconnect. I took out the regulator because I have two other regulators at two remote locations. From the top of the second T I have a poppet valve which is factory set at 130 pounds. When the tank pressure overcomes the spring tension of the poppet valve, the valve opens and blows off. Pressure has to drop significantly before the poppet will reset. If you are thinking of installing an automatic condensate drain valve here, I think you are putting it at the wrong place. Water even under pressure will go to the bottom of the tank. You might get some swirling around in the tank but not of a significant amount to need a drain here.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          I have a craftsman vertical compressor with what I believe is a forty gallon tank. The compressor body is fastened to the top of the tank. There are two ports coming off the top of the tank. 1) a small diameter aluminum tubing that goes to the unloader on the pressure switch. 2) a quarter inch pipe that goes to the pressure switch T fitting. Off the side of the T is a nipple, another T and a quick disconnect. I took out the regulator because I have two other regulators at two remote locations. From the top of the second T I have a poppet valve which is factory set at 130 pounds. When the tank pressure overcomes the spring tension of the poppet valve, the valve opens and blows off. Pressure has to drop significantly before the poppet will reset. If you are thinking of installing an automatic condensate drain valve here, I think you are putting it at the wrong place. Water even under pressure will go to the bottom of the tank. You might get some swirling around in the tank but not of a significant amount to need a drain here.
          these descriptions are hard to visualize and

my descriptions don't paint the right

picture no matter how many times you

have to read it. The kit comes with a

pressure activated drain petcock that

replaces the STOCK drain petcock from

the manufacturer at the-bottom of the tank

(of course). The pressure to activate this device comes from the

pressure relief tube VIA the "T" i keep

mentioning.

MY QUESTION: by installing

this "T" on pressure relief tube (part#21 in

diagram in the link in a previous post), will this degrade performance or

cause any safety concerns?

I have had comcast internet connection issues this morning and i have tried to post this thing a few times ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...

thanks in advance...

Comment

I think I got ya now! Tee off the line the poppet is installed in and connect up the line that goes to the bleeder below. ya got to have that poppet for safety.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =