Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Water Heater Installation Height

Is anyone aware of building code restrictions on maximum installation heights for gas water heaters? I have a 50 gallon natural gas water heater installed in a single residential garage 18" above the floor. I would like to elevate this appliance in order to create usable area below the water heater. There are no habitable areas above the water heater as the garage has an open ceiling with exposed attic space.

I think it would be advisable against for several reasons.
    The weight factor of a fully loaded heater.
    The possibility of being scalded from a tank blow-off.
    No ready access to the thermal resets or adjustments.
    Shutoffs difficult to reach.
    Check your building department.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-Gus View Post
      Is anyone aware of building code restrictions on maximum installation heights for gas water heaters? I have a 50 gallon natural gas water heater installed in a single residential garage 18" above the floor. I would like to elevate this appliance in order to create usable area below the water heater. There are no habitable areas above the water heater as the garage has an open ceiling with exposed attic space.
      As far as i know, there is no code that says you can't put it higher, as long as you build a good base to support it. The relief valve pipe should come down with in 6" of the New floor and so it can dump into a open drain pan that the water heater sets in. Single stack pipe has to miss all combustibles by 6" this includes
      drywall. Double gas vent pipe has to clear combustibles by 1"
      You are supposed to pipe the drain pan drain to a drain
      Paul

Comment

There are no max. height restrictions as long as the unit is in an open location for air intake. Like Paul mentioned there are code restrictions for proximity to combustible materials.
        My local building department makes us put a water shut off accessible from ground height.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Not only are there no height limits in the code, per code you could actually put it in the attic providing you meet a list of additional requirements.

When installed in a garage or utility shed where there is the likelyhood of storing gas driven vehicles or equipment a gas water heater is required to be installed a minimum of 18" above the floor. The only increased vertical height restrictions that I am aware of is you would have to have sufficient clearance for the vent/stack.

It should also be noted that under most codes it is now a requirement that if the water heater is installed in an elevated position it must be equipped with seismic straps.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =