X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid r4141 chopsaw

I just got this Ridgid R4141 chop saw .

It came with a 14" disc.

I am new to this tool and I will use ot for making accurate metal cuts and come up with MIG projects around the house.

I saw different thicknesses of cutting discs at HD and was wondering if it made any difference which one I used?

Also, are there discs that cut better than another by brand or thickness or am I stuck with a particular thickness disc that the saw came with.

thanks in advance.

v
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Chop Saw....

The thinner blade the better. Less metal cut is easier on the saw motor. Just make sure the blade is rated for the rpm's.... As for blade brand, no idea.

Comment

blades

are these blades abrasive cut off disks?
      common ones are 1/8" thick. thinner ones tend to explode when they fracture

Comment

HOLY SH*T. I was thnking about catastophic failures while cutting metal. At 3900rpm if that thing came apart it could be quite dangerous. I find sporatic mention of dressing the disc periodically as it develops glaze. I see no real mention of it in casual search, is it common practice?

Any other tips you guys can think of to operate this thing safely and efficiently?

Thanks in advance

Comment

chopsaw

there is a blade guard that retracts when you push the saw downwards. make sure you use the built in clamp to securely hold your work piece. the trigger switch is protected by a press to energize button. the abrasive disk gets clogged when you cut aluminum. I wouldn't dress the disk by any means when its spinning - too dangerous. the disk has silicon carbide bits embedded in the glue that hold the thing together. never ever exceed the rpm for which the blade was designed. it WILL explode!
          I had a cup wheel on an angle grinder explode on me when I was servicing it. it cut through my abdomen - needed stitches to close it. I can only imagine what a 14 inch blade would do.

Comment

HZ
            thanks...
            Can I cut wood with this saw with a wood cutting blade?

Comment

chopsaw

before I came back in here I typed in rigid r4141 into my google search. what came up were numerous you tube videos on this chopsaw.
              there wasn't anything on using it for a wood saw. some of them did say that the arbor is a 1 inch size. some chopsaws like dewalt and milwaukee have a diamond shaped washer insert for holding the blade. so, with that in mind I don't know where you'd find a 12 inch blade with a diamond cut out or even a 1 inch arbor.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =