Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to mount 2x3 on cinderblock wall

After about 10 years, the metal ktichen cabinets unexpectedly fell off the wall and onto my head.

The blue TAPCON cement screw/anchors sheared from the wall-RUSTED.

Apparently, efflourescence or palling leached some evil salts onto the metal and over time it failed.

SOOOOooo, I wanted to mount a 2x3 to the wall horizontally and then afix the metal cabinet to the wood.

The wood is 1.5" and the real cinder block is of undetermined thickness at it's thinnest.

so there are sleaved anchors, wedge anchors and those jacketed halves with the lag screw....

What size shoud I get to go through the wood and anchor into the block wall. I picked up 5/16th x 2.25" and the width will be 24" of 2x3. So I thought 3-4 should make it stick to the wall.

any ideas??
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

block walls

concrete block commonly known as cinder block has hollow spaces in it. there could be a minimum of three spaces but I've seen four spaces. the webs are about three inches on center and about an inch and a half thick.
    RAWL plugs are made of steel and lead. You drill a hole then insert the fastener and using a caulking tool, expand the lead in the hole to hold the machine screw or bolt threaded fastener.
    HILTI thunder studs are a steel bolt less headed bolt with an expanding metal collar on the bottom. you drill a hole, insert the bolt with washer and nut attached until it bottoms out then take up on the nut. thich forces the bolt bottom up into a wedge collar.
    split lag bolt sleeves are made in two parts that expand into the walls of the hole.
    toggle bolts will work inside the hollow spaces of the concrete block.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      concrete block commonly known as cinder block has hollow spaces in it. there could be a minimum of three spaces but I've seen four spaces. the webs are about three inches on center and about an inch and a half thick.
      RAWL plugs are made of steel and lead. You drill a hole then insert the fastener and using a caulking tool, expand the lead in the hole to hold the machine screw or bolt threaded fastener.
      HILTI thunder studs are a steel bolt less headed bolt with an expanding metal collar on the bottom. you drill a hole, insert the bolt with washer and nut attached until it bottoms out then take up on the nut. thich forces the bolt bottom up into a wedge collar.
      split lag bolt sleeves are made in two parts that expand into the walls of the hole.
      toggle bolts will work inside the hollow spaces of the concrete block.
      HAyZeeeee!!!!

Hi again!!!!

So what would you use to put that 1 1/2" piece of wood on a cinderblock wall? A three-incher? The splitlab bolt sleeves come in so many sizes as do all the others....
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

block wall

well, being a 2x3 has a dimensional thickness of an inch and five-eighths, I would go with a 5/16s thickness bolt and about a three inch length, maybe a touch more say 3 1/2" into a split shield. a 5/16" X 3 1/2" toggle bolt into a web space.
        what we're messing with here is a horizontal shear stress as opposed to an upward pull.

Comment

Drill into the mortar lines between two blocks, make sure you drill a hole that is wider than the actual mortar line and use a concrete anchor bolt to suit. This way the anchor bolt will bind onto the thickest part of the cinder block (ends). Suggested size 3" x 3/8".
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =