Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat5e couplers

i am doing the structured wiring thing and was wondering since my home runsweren't quite long enough will i loose very much by using female-female couplers ?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

If you make a good connection, then it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't recommend it, but you'll probably be ok. If you are joining more than a few wires, then I would use a 110 block to connect them.
    Try

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Troy

If you make a good connection, then it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't recommend it, but you'll probably be ok. If you are joining more than a few wires, then I would use a 110 block to connect them.
      The General Contractor we hired is a real dick.He wanted to terminate all this stuff, telephone, ethernet, video, cable and satelite right next to the electrical panel. Anyway, he never asked me what I was trying to accomplish. so the cat5e terminates about 5 feet from the panel and i need to go maybe 10-15 feet elsewhere-anywhere but near the panel. so a 110 block will allow me to use a punch down tool to make a splice and get on with my life?

Comment

The 110 block will give you a way to securely connect the wires. It will also give you a place to mount and secure the cables so they don't get snagged. Make sure you get a 110 block rated for cat5e and you should be fine. Just punch them down!

Let us know how it goes
        Try

Comment

Quick question, please.

With a 110 punchdown board, is it advisable to repunch if mistakes are made? How does this affect the terminals and connectivity? Is there a special technique to remove terminated wires without damaging the terminals?

Thanks.

Comment

I decided to use the 66 block instead but for the telephone;and to join the 2 cat5e i simply put male connectors and used a female female cupler to join them and the line continued to the terminus (router/switch/modem stuff)

As far as reconneting, I have miswired something on the 66 block and just carefully pulled straight up on the wire to dislodge it from the IDC, i do not know if this is ok but i haven't felt anything ....perhaps someone else could elaborate.[quote]Originally posted by allthumbs

Quick question, please.

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =