Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building windows from scratch

Here's a crazy thought;
    I'm gonna build myself a new set of windows! I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars (each!) on plastic windows. I need about 10 of 'em. I've lived in old colonial houses before, where the windows looked like they were made by hand. Has anyone else done this? I don't need child locks, I don't need UV protection, who cares that the new ones tilt in for easy cleaning? I just want some air once and a while.

quote:Originally posted by gERM

Here's a crazy thought;
    I'm gonna build myself a new set of windows! I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars (each!) on plastic windows. I need about 10 of 'em. I've lived in old colonial houses before, where the windows looked like they were made by hand. Has anyone else done this? I don't need child locks, I don't need UV protection, who cares that the new ones tilt in for easy cleaning? I just want some air once and a while.

Comment

Some years ago i took on the project of scratch building ten hollow core doors and 12 window casings. I can tell you from first hand experience that by the time you are finished you will have an entirely new respect for doors or windows. Although i still have to build a window occassionally due to odd dimensions, i would rather kiss a toad.
      quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

quote:Originally posted by gERM

Here's a crazy thought;

Comment

Yikes! That's an ambitious project! If you're in a warm climate that winter cold isn't an issue, then the project could be pulled off okay. A good table saw, a good router, some good quality blades and router bits would make a good start. I think making a fixture setup to keep the end joints accurate would be key on this. Maybe set up something like a mini production line for yourself. Especially if you keep the window sizing to only one or two. Watch for all the slight angled surfaces that would be needed between upper and lower sashes to minimize wind whistling. Hmmm....Ours need replacing, too.....now you got me thinking!

Comment

Johnny,

Check out the information at these sites...

Good luck,

Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
          'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
          X
          =