Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am brand new to this forum as you can see this is my first post. However I am from the Kansas city area and I am an Audio Visual Technician for a school district. I do have a degree that doesnt have a lot to do with my occupation but thats normal. I am 28 with a happy family.

I guess I am what people call a MR. FIX IT. Every where I go, everyday I wake up I deal with broken stuff and never tell people that I cant Fix it because it depends on how much the person is willing to spend to solve the problem. I use that about everyday...Thats what my grandfather taught me.

I hope that I can ad some know how to this forum to save people time and money...

Comment

Hi, I'm Craig. I live here in the beautiful horse country setting of St-Lazare, Canada. Just moved here from the city of Montreal.

I had been working in Engineering for 20 years, the last 4 in upstate NY. I was a structural mechanical designer. Loved my work (being an inventor was great), but could no longer handle the stress of ridiculous deadlines set by ridiculous people. My sideline has always been renovations and one day I decided to leave it all and change careers. I took a chance and moved to a calmer setting where people still say, "Good Morning", or "Have a nice day". -Sounds silly but I wanted to raise my kids in an area that reminded me of the time when I grew up and being a good person meant something.

The renovation business is booming out here. The homes range from $150,000 to 4 or 5 million! The work is slower pace (for me, that is). My specialty is crown mouldings or chair rail/wainscoting or any other type of trim. I can do most general renos ranging from basement finishing to deck building to kitchen/bathroom remodeling, etc... Just love the challenge!

My Engineering skills help because I design in 3D. It truly helps a client envision the outcome of his project-even before he spends a penny.

I am consciencious about what I do. I love what I do. Although Engineering is a noble profession, I have to say working for myself, meeting people one-on-one and less stress is already paying off (don't have those upper shoulder muscle pains anymore).

I just wanted to end by writing that this forum is great! I can tell you it really helps to have all the professional contractors out there giving us a hand (from their experience). I hope I can one day be able to help somebody with a problem or query.

Anyhow,

Signing off,

Craig

PS to Hayzee518: I worked in Plattsburgh, NY on the old Airforce base for a company that designs and manufactures train parts for major train builders. Very beautiful area-especially those Adirondacks!

Comment

hello all
        My name is Jan and I am a decorative painter from Atlanta GA
        glad to find this site
        because I am also a stubborn do it myselfer
        with a weakenss for woodworking tools
        I was at a yard sale this morning and actully passed up buying a 12 "
        dewalt compound miter saw for $150[:0]
        I already have a makita
        but not a compound one!!
        I am telling you my inner resolve is awsonme!( plus I didn't have the extra $150 today)[V]

are there any more fancy painters around?
        I have come across some exceptional brushes for mural painting and faux.
        if you are interested I 'll send you some info

nice to meet everyone
        Jan

If you love to Faux but need more clients

free report, seminar & e-course

Comment

Just stopped by to say Hello

My name is Don also known as tin_man_don on ebay

I do all my own projects and love it

Don

Comment

Whats up'names DAve and i have been bouncing around in the trades my whole life(41) now siding,roofing,windows,rehabbing,went to school for home inspector which i'm still trying to pursue, before ending up in flooring with ceramic tile and marble being the specialty.
            Was offline for a while while the computer was on vacation or crashed or something like that.So back on now and hopefully will be here for a while.
            Good idea whoever that was that suggested this[8D]

Floorman
            floorlayers union local 1310
            Floorman
            floorlayers union local 1310

Comment

Hi, I'm Dan. Born and raised in NYC. Engineering college for two years till I dropped out (after all the hard stuff and it was just getting interesting-----Duhhhh!)
              Went back to the City, NYPD for 16 years, retired, RAN out of the City, took up skydiving/parachute rigging, got my Real Estate license, did that until I closed on a house, worked in Home Depot (Lumber/Bldg Supplies dept.)until it felt like my fingers were being pulled out of my hands-those bags of cement/gravel/sand etc. are heavy!
              Now I try to fix up the house and do as much of the work as possible, till the money runs out and I have to go back to work.

Dan
              Dan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dkpbxman

Hi, I'm Dan. Born and raised in NYC. Engineering college for two years till I dropped out (after all the hard stuff and it was just getting interesting-----Duhhhh!)
                Went back to the City, NYPD for 16 years, retired, RAN out of the City, took up skydiving/parachute rigging, got my Real Estate license, did that until I closed on a house, worked in Home Depot (Lumber/Bldg Supplies dept.)until it felt like my fingers were being pulled out of my hands-those bags of cement/gravel/sand etc. are heavy!
                Now I try to fix up the house and do as much of the work as possible, till the money runs out and I have to go back to work.

Dan
                Welcome to the forum!

Try
                Try

Comment

Just found this thread some how. Any way I'm KSever, not retired yet but hopefully soon.
                  Married to a wonderful lady who knows her construction business who I met through working in apartments (she actually told me how to do my job as a tenant), she grew up with a father in the electrical supply business, she went to school for construction and now serves as Director of Construction for a Large shoe store developer.
                  We just recently BOUGHT our first own house which was built in 1885, first project was to move the entire kitchen from the location upstairs to it's new location on the first floor and level the floor in the new kitchen area.

Have lived and worked all over the country (USA).
                  Building Engineer since 1979, have worked hands-on in several different environments. Hotels, High-rise, Class-A apartment homes, strip center malls, and hospitals.
                  HVAC certified
                  Pool Water Tech
                  Currently working on certification for waste water treatment plants

History:
                  Asst Chief Engineer at Orange County Hilton, California
                  Lead Building Engineer for several Apartment communities in Southern CA
                  Chief Engineer Commercial High-rise in Chicago,IL area
                  Director of Engineering for several Apartment communities in Chicago,IL area
                  Chief Engineer Apartment High-rise in Detroit,MI area
                  Director of Maintenance for 18 commercial properties in Milwaukee, WI
                  Chief Engineer Woodfield Suites Hotel Madison, WI
                  Chief Engineer House on The Rock Resort Spring Green, WI

Comment

Better late than never...

Been registered for several months now, just didn't see this topic.

I taught high school math for 30 years at the same high school here in Fort Walton Beach, FL. Still here, retired now.

Always have been interested in electronics and I got my ham radio license while in high school in Springfield,Tennessee. I was the only guy in the dorm at Middle Tennessee State College back in the 1960s with a pair of Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers.

Enjoyed working at Circuit City for three years since my teaching days. Only problem was that they wanted me to sell, sell, sell, while I wanted to educate folks on the new technology but not sell stuff to them that they didn't eally need. Knowhatimean?

I'm also into digital photography, and Linda , my wife, and I do photo sessions of families at the beach during the summer.

You will find my picture on this site here:

doing what I enjoy most...

This site has helped me learn all kinds of stuff about my home projects. I do appreciate it very much.
                    regards, Tom
                    Last edited by X Y Scaling; 01-28-2006, 11:41 AM.
                    Vinyl and Laserdisc Fan

Comment

Panik attack!

What a great site, I am getting so smart it scares me!

At the age of 60 I bought my first place, been a nomad.
                      Working as a groundskeeper now, been in the building maint. field off
                      and on for 40 years.
                      Communities, computers and expatriate life are my main interest but I am easily distracted.

I can't believe I found this site, some clever people on this site.
                      Thank you for all the great information you took time to post, good people here.

Comment

My name is Alyssa, niceto meet everyone.

I just moved into a new home in FL. I have three kids, a Husband and a crazy dog. I am trying to get better with DIY projects and gardening. Glad to meet everyone and I look forward to talking with you!
                        Alyssa Anders
                        Modular Homes information, Resources and more at Modular Today.

Comment

Hi, My name is Eric, I have 27 years in the building trades. My primary trade is plumbing and heating, hence the nickname Piper. I get satisfaction from helping others if and when I can. Sometimes I need advice too.

Plumbing, HVAC, Building construction, Electrical and Site development.

God Bless You All,
                          Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Piper
                            Hi, My name is Eric, I have 27 years in the building trades. My primary trade is plumbing and heating, hence the nickname Piper. I get satisfaction from helping others if and when I can. Sometimes I need advice too.

Plumbing, HVAC, Building construction, Electrical and Site development.

God Bless You All,
                            Eric
                            Nice to have you here, Piper. Welcome to the forum!
                            Try

Comment

New Member, Muralist/Faux Finisher

Hello,
                              I just found this site and find it quite interesting. I am a certified muralist and faux finisher, decorative painter, stencilist, ... your basic all around home decorator. I will also do straight painting, typically when there is also some faux finishing or murals also involved. I have been in the business for 3 years. Thanks to TV shows like Trading Spaces and Design on a Dime, etc. my type of work has become much more popular over the last few years. I went to school at Decorating Masters Institute, Inc. in Fort Myers, FL and received 3 certifications. Two were in faux finishing and one in murals. I enjoy my work very much. Jan Distinctive Scenes

Comment

Hi, my name is Leo. I learned whatever I know from trial and error, by necessity, and by observing service people who come by to fix something in the house.

I am a chemical engineer by profession, a computer programmer, food technologist, process engineer in the course of my work life. I am glad to help anybody.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =