Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asbestos plaster

The plaster in my home contains 20% amosite asbestos. I wanted to totally remodel two rooms in the house ,which would include replacing the plaster with drywall. What is the best way to proceed with a remodel when the walls contain asbestos?

If the plaster does contain friable asbestos the only safe and legal way to remove it is to have it done by a licensed asbestos abatement contractor. It is a very labor intensive and costly process of creating a total containment in the effected area and handling all debris as hazardous waste.
    I would begin by contacting your local building inspection department and asking them if containment is an option to removing. If not, they could give you a list of contractors that are licensed for the job.

Comment

there are other approved manners for abatement including aplication of misted water(keeps the dust down). But why go through all that hartache and pain? Cover it up with drywall using fasteners and adhesive.

Comment

Asbestos removal is an expensive and labor intensive job. Licensed abatement companies are in order here. I took a course in abatement and was licensed to remove a two square foot section at a time. A glove bag containment process was employed. Where walls are concerned complete containment with 6 mil poly, an air lock and a positive pressure machine is employed. HEPA filters are also used. Then you got to find a place that will accept it. I don't know what you should do.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =