Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawl space temperature

Wasn't sure where this should go so mods if it's in the wrong section feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

But I have a question about the temperature of my crawl space. The home I live in has I believe a block foundation with cement piers along the inside. The exterior of the home is brick. The crawlspace has several screened vents.

I ask about the temp because I happen to have two stray cats that reside in the crawl space. They enter and exit thru a hole in one of the screens. Lately the temps have been down as low as 20 degrees.
    But then I got to wondering that maybe the temps of the crawlspace don't get quite as cold as the exterior.

Both the cats are wild so I don't really want them in the house. I would let them stay in the garage but there's no heat in it. I did supply a dog house with blankets for them to keep warm but they don't seem to like to use it. Neverless I don't want them to freeze to death.

Of course there are heat ducts ran under the house which come up thru the floor. Also to my knowledge none of the water pipes have froze over and we don't let our water run at night. But I don't think that necessarly means the crawl space is warmer during freezing conditions...or does it?

Just was wondering if anyone knows if the temp of a crawl space during winer months to be as cold as the outside air or ?

Having worked in many a crawl space in the winter time to repair frozen water lines I can tell you first hand that those cats have nothing to fear. While the air temps get uncomfortable for you or I it is still considerably warmer in the crawl space than in the outside air. First of all, the foundation wall blocks the wind so they are not confronted with chill factor. Secondly, While the frost does penetrate the ground outside the structure, and to some degree the frost travels horizont through the earth as well, near the center of the house there is both geothermal energy from the ground, which is usually about 50 degs and a certain amount of heat migrating through the floor from the occupied space above, not to mention that the cats will probably find a place to curl up on top of a heating duct.

Comment

Wow, am I relieved to hear that.

I was kind of thinking that perhaps the crawl space would stay around 50 degrees or so, similar to a basement. I imagine it would be similar for the summertime?

Not sure if they'd curl up on a duct or not. We do have a heat pump that heats the entire house so maybe it wouldn't be too hot for them to sit on top of?

Comment

Lay a couple of old blankets down there. Don't be 'neat' about it. Set them in a somewhat bunched up fashion. They'll manage them into whatever shape they need to keep warm. They may even be laying close to each other for comfort. I've seen many of them do that, wild and domestics. Putting them in a couple small wooden boxes would be ideal.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =