Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting an All purpose Stapler

I am shopping for a general purpose heavy duty stappler for the house....The current project I am stapling insulation between studs...Should I get a narrow crown or Wide Crown staple?

I am looking at the Craftsman Easyfire#68514 stapler/nailer.

Thanks

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

For total versatility I would select a stapler that uses the T-50 staples which are almost an industry standard in the construction trades.

The T-50 staple has been an industry standard for many years so they are always readily available at any hardware or home supply store.

T-50 staples are made in steel, aluminum and copper for use where dissimilar metals or weather corrosion is a consideration. They are also made in many different lenths so they will work for a wide range of applications from tacking insulation and weather stripping to installing ceiling tiles.

While the Arrow or Bostich heavy duty staplers are most commonly used the Craftsman offers a unique feature in that the downward force is directly in line with the staple which reduces kickback and seems to seat the staple a little bit better.

For such tasks as installing insultion or putting down roofing felt paper they also make a staple tacker, which is an inline stapler that is used in the same manner as an ordinary hammer.

Most contractor grade staplers, whether the common heavy duty hand stapler, in line staplers or electric staplers all use the T-50 staple so it simpifies the required inventory of staples as well as reduces the potential of jamming a stapler by using the wrong staple.

Some of the heavy duty hand staplers also offer a wire guide feature, which is very handy when running small diameter cable such as telephone or thermostat wire.

Comment

great this stapler will use the T50 staples....My question is that craftsman makes basically 2 kinds a narrow crown and a wide crown staple....is a wide staple necessarily better than a narrow one,.
      quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

For total versatility I would select a stapler that uses the T-50 staples which are almost an industry standard in the construction trades.

The T-50 staple has been an industry standard for many years so they are always readily available at any hardware or home supply store.

T-50 staples are made in steel, aluminum and copper for use where dissimilar metals or weather corrosion is a consideration. They are also made in many different lenths so they will work for a wide range of applications from tacking insulation and weather stripping to installing ceiling tiles.

While the Arrow or Bostich heavy duty staplers are most commonly used the Craftsman offers a unique feature in that the downward force is directly in line with the staple which reduces kickback and seems to seat the staple a little bit better.

For such tasks as installing insultion or putting down roofing felt paper they also make a staple tacker, which is an inline stapler that is used in the same manner as an ordinary hammer.

Most contractor grade staplers, whether the common heavy duty hand stapler, in line staplers or electric staplers all use the T-50 staple so it simpifies the required inventory of staples as well as reduces the potential of jamming a stapler by using the wrong staple.

Some of the heavy duty hand staplers also offer a wire guide feature, which is very handy when running small diameter cable such as telephone or thermostat wire.

Comment

I was not familiar with the term Narrow Crown or Wide Crown so I did some online research on the craftsman stapler. It appears that what they are defining as narrow crown staples is a staple size particular to Craftsman. I would be hesitant to buy any stapler that requires a particular size other than the T-50 as that means you must buy replacement staples from that company, whereas the T-50 is as common as nails in any hardware store.

I do like the forward force design of the craftsman and if it will accept the standard T-50 staples I would not hesitate to buy it.

Comment

Now I had to do some research about staples...The narrow crown staples are 3/8" and the wide crown staples (standard) are 1/2" wide....both come in an assortment of T50 flavours from all the major manufactureres....so I wonder what would be be better?
          quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

I was not familiar with the term Narrow Crown or Wide Crown so I did some online research on the craftsman stapler. It appears that what they are defining as narrow crown staples is a staple size particular to Craftsman. I would be hesitant to buy any stapler that requires a particular size other than the T-50 as that means you must buy replacement staples from that company, whereas the T-50 is as common as nails in any hardware store.

I do like the forward force design of the craftsman and if it will accept the standard T-50 staples I would not hesitate to buy it.

Comment

Teh 1/2" are the only ones i have used in about the last 30 years so I am not familiar with the 3/8.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =