Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorative copper

My wife wants me to build a simulated, triangular-shaped duct above the brick that encloses our kitchen stove. My idea is to make a frame out of pine and cover it with copper sheeting, but so far, I'm striking out trying to locate a copper supplier in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There are companies that do decorative copper work...at ridiculous prices, but they won't just sell sheet material.

Has anyone done something similar? Any potential problems? Any ideas for a supplier in this area? Suggestions?

i don't know what prices you were quoted to have the copper formed by your local shop, but their price may not be as unressonable as you might imagine.

I just priced a 48" x 96" sheet of 16ga copper sheeting from two local suppliers. The average is $5.50 sq.ft or $160 per sheet. That is for standard roofing or flashing grade copper. If you desire polished copper the price is $12 sq.ft or $384 per sheet.

Due to the limited demand for polished copper most sheet metal shops will be forced to charge you for the entire sheet.

Half sheets are available by special order, but due to the special handling required to prevent scratches and damage in shipment often a half sheet will cost nearly as much as the whole sheet.

Comment

Their standard designs that approximate what we want, vary from $1800 to $4800. I would need about a sheet and a half, so even 2 sheets are much cheaper than their quote. We want a rustic look, so polished copper is not required.

Thanks for your response and you did give me the idea to contact a roofing supplier!

Comment

Fortunately I am right in the heart of the metal working industry so metal dealers are not difficult to find in this region.

Check your local phone book forSpecialty Metal dealers, Metal Dealers, Sheet Metal Dealers or Steel Distributors. Many of the large metal dealers primarily supply iron and steel, but they can get specialty metals.

Also try running an online search on your web browser home page.

I ran a search for "sheet copper" on Yahoo and got a number of results.

Comment

Go to McMaster Carr. (www.mcmaster.com) They are an industrial supplier of sheet goods.

Comment

We do this all the time-Use regular sheet metal to cover your frame,(or a pre-made hood) then paint it with Modern Masters copper metallic paint. Go to www.modernmastersinc.com and look for a local retailer in your area. The paint actually has copper flakes in it...no one will know if you don't tell them!

Amanda
            Welcome to Artistic Illusions, where imagination is given life through the innovative skills of artist and owner Larry Anderson.
            Amanda
            www.artisticillusions.com

Comment

Thanks Amanda, that sounds like an idea worth looking in to!

Comment

GaryS,

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your project? I forgot to mention...if you want to make the copper "panels" look rivited, you can use little flat head nails, or for more decorative flair you can use upholstery takcs nailed right into the hood...

Amanda
                Welcome to Artistic Illusions, where imagination is given life through the innovative skills of artist and owner Larry Anderson.
                Amanda
                www.artisticillusions.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                =