Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Profile fridge compartment problem

Hello All:
    On my GE Profile side-by-side fridge (model PCF25MGWA), ice builds up on the evaporator coils in the fridge compartment. Eventually, the entire evap coil assembly is frozen solid and the evap fan is unable to circulate air even though it's running, leading to increased temperatures in the fridge compartment. If I allow the ice to thaw, the fridge starts working normally but after a couple of days the ice starts to build-up again. I'm not sure what the defrosting mechanism for this fridge is but it seems to be broken. I took the evap assembly apart and I saw some sort of probe (pic. attached) inserted into an aluminum block that is zip-tied to the evap coils. Is this a temperature probe, or, is this some sort of heating element ?

FWIW, the freezer section seems to be working just fine and there's no ice build-up on the freezer section's evap coils.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by teerex; 10-13-2011, 01:01 PM.

Is this a temperature probe, or, is this some sort of heating element?
    It is a thermistor (aka temperature sensor).

If I allow the ice to thaw, the fridge starts working normally but after a couple of days the ice starts to build-up again.
    Have you checked for air leaks into the cabinet? The door not closing properly would often cause an evaporator to frost excessively. The light staying on might be another.

I'm not sure what the defrosting mechanism for this fridge is
    I haven't worked on a GE model with dual evaporator coil but most fridges that have a 'chill plate' in the fridge compartment it just melts each time the compressor shuts down. There is no heating mechanism normally. I didn't see one in the pictures you supplied either.

Other than air leaking into that compartment, there might be a chance of that thermistor being defective and not telling the control the fridge compartment evaporator is due for defrosting. That's just a guess though.

LINK > GE PCF25MGWA Fridge Compartment Thermistor

It may also be possible that the 3-way valve in the refrigeration system is malfunctioning. The main control tells that valve to open or close the refrigerant supply to the evaporator coils depending on conditions it senses in the fridge compartment evaporator. That would require a refrigeration system technician to investigate and repair.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks much, Dan, for the link to the thermistor replacement part. It's a $9 part so I will try replacing that and see if it helps. If not, I'll call in a technician.

Cheers

Comment

I have the exact Problem

Please let me know how this turned out. I have the exact same problem.

Comment

Had the Thermistors replaced

I had a technician out yesterday to change the Thermistors
          I will let you know hopefully that corrected the issue with the other post listed here as well

Comment

Working...
          X
          =