Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need gas dryer help

maytag gas dryer m#MDG4806AWW S#11187155jx
    runs fine on timed dry but on auto dry sometimes wont stop drying.
    have checked resistance on plug at circuit board and have less than 1 ohm with sensor bar shorted. have checked connections and seem fine any more info would be greatly appreciated
    Dan

have checked resistance on plug at circuit board and have less than 1 ohm with sensor bar shorte
    When the sensor is shorted it tells the dryer that the clothes are NOT dry and so to keep it running. The moisture sensor would usually need to be open (infinite resistance) before the control would 'think' the clothes were dry and allow it to advance to the end of the cycle.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

thanks for the reply Dan, it is open when not shorted i shorted it intentionally to check resistance . do you have any other ideas as to why it would keep drying well after the clothes are dry ? would any other sensor effect the auto dry cycle because it works fine on timed dry
      again, thanks Dan
      Last edited by dfitz3390; 08-02-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

do you have any other ideas as to why it would keep drying well after the clothes are dry?
        If the moisture sensor and its wiring are not shorted, other than a problem in the electronic control itself (see the following link), I'm afraid I do not have any other ideas. On some dryer designs if the dryer wasn't heating properly it would affect auto dry modes. However, if the clothes are actually dry, that isn't likely the cause in your case.

LINK > Maytag MDG4806AWW Electronic Control

(BTW The vendor at the above link does have a very lenient return policy. They even allow return of electrical and electronic components which is unusual in the appliance trade.)

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan, im using 4" round duct and was wondering what the maximum length including elbows is. the dryer was working fine with the existing vent pipe and i checked for obscructions.
          i cleaned the dryer before installing it and while checking the sensor circuit i noticed more lint than what i thought should be inside the dryer cabinet for the 30 days or so of use. if the length or configuration of the venting is effecting the ability of the air to move the moisture laden air out of the building and it was able to blow by the felt drum seals (could be the seals need replacing too)and reenter the dryer body as thats where it gets its fresh air from, Can recirculation of part of the exhausted moist air keep the sensor shorting and not advance the timer ?
          Last edited by dfitz3390; 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

It is the actual contact with wet clothing between the sensor bars (which are just strips of bare metal) that indicates to the control whether the clothes are dry or not. Moist air has nothing to do with it.

Poor venting could cause poor drying and excessive lint accumulation inside the dryer but as long as the clothes are dry, should not affect operation on 'auto' cycles that rely on the type of moisture sensor used in your dryer model.

You'd have to look in the dryer's installation instructions to see what the maximum recommended vent length can be.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

i cleaned the duct out, there wasnt much lint in it as i try to keep it cleaned annually and its working fine now. could have been a connection i guess.... will let it rip and see what happens

thanks for the prompt replies Dan

DAN

Comment

Working...
              X
              =