Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenmore upright freezer #253.9280211 not cooling

My freezer just stopped cooling. I am just starting to look into the problem and was hoping for some tips. Here are the two things I see so far. It is not cooling. There are not patches of ice or anything on the inside. When I close the door it makes a vacuum sound and seals, it does not do that anymore. If you have any advice let me know

TIA

Indiana

quote:Originally posted by Indiana
    kenmore upright freezer # 253.9280211
    I'm afraid I can no listing for such a model number. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number tag? Are you sure you copied it correctly?

quote:My freezer just stopped cooling.
    Did you check to make sure the freezer is still getting power?

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

I am also trying to locate a schematic for this freezer. Sears.com does not seem to have one. I haven't had much google luck either. It is Model#253.9280211 made in 5/98. If anyone knows where can I locate one please let me know.

TIA
      Indiana

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan O.

I'm afraid I can no listing for such a model number. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number tag? Are you sure you copied it correctly?
        I was wondering that myself after I could find no information on it.
        Here is a pic of the tag, so you can see for yourself.

quoteid you check to make sure the freezer is still getting power?
        Yes, the light is working inside. The fan runs, but it seems to blow out semi-cool air. I have heard the compressor(?) "kick on" while it is running.

hth

-Indiana

Comment

Here is a pic of the tag, so you can see for yourself.
          Thanks, I may not have believed you otherwise. Sears has a pretty thorough model listing, I can't believe its not there being only a 1998 model!! A model from the 70's or 60's I can see maybe not being there.

Ok, I found a listing for a model 253.9280210 so I'll go by that. They are likely very similar although I don't know what the last digit in Kenmore model numbers represent.

quote:Yes, the light is working inside. The fan runs, but it seems to blow out semi-cool air. I have heard the compressor(?) "kick on" while it is running.
          What I think is probably occurring is that the compressor is likely NOT running but just trying to start. It is a common failure.

Without the compressor running, no frost will form on the evaporator (cooling) coil inside the freezer and no cooling of the air will take place. The air might feel cooler just because of the air movement from the fan.

The compressor not starting could just be in the compressor's starting relay but there could be a problem in the compressor itself which is responsible. Refrigeration technicians have specialized tools to determine which is the cause so you might want call one in.

If you just wanted to take a chance on the relay, I looked up the one for model 253.9280210 and 253.9280212 and they both take the same one, # 216594300 (see the following link). Maybe you can check the wiring diagram to see if it lists which one your model takes to be sure?

- Compressor Relay
          LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?rcpn=216594300

BTW. Do not allow the compressor to continue to try to start if it never gets running. If the problem isn't already in the compressor, it could be damaged ($$$+) by allowing it to continue in that fashion. Turn the thermostat off or unplug the freezer until it can be looked into.

JMO

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

for parts go to www.repairclinic.com - the freezer number 253.9280211 is not right. 253.9280212 works as does 253.9280210

Comment

I started looking the unit over yesterday, and I noticed the seal was out of its groove across the bottom. i guess they kids must have stood on it to get ice cream. I didnt notice it before because of the large storage area in the bottom of the door. I took off the panel and put the seal back in place. This morning it has frozen the bowl of water I put in it. It is also "vacuum sealing" again. Could that be the entire problem? Seems to be working, although I am going to let it run for a couple days to make sure. It seems odd to me that one small section of seal could keep it from cooling. Does it have some kind of sensor that knows when the seal isnt working?

Comment

It seems odd to me that one small section of seal could keep it from cooling.
                It wouldn't. The most the door not sealing would do is cause excessive frost build up on the evaporator coil. The freezer would still cool.

quote:
                Does it have some kind of sensor that knows when the seal isn't working?
                No.

If the compressor wasn't running but the interior fan was, there is likely a problem in the compressor starting relay or overload protector or in the compressor causing it to overheat and cut out on the overload protector.

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

same problem with Kenmore 253-9280212

Doesn't give vaccum sound anymore and does not freeze just blows cool air

Comment

my seal was off too on the bottom I put it back on and now three days later I had to throw out a half side of beef. It blows cool air but wont freeze water.Help please!

Comment

Originally posted by ecoflo
                      It blows cool air but wont freeze water.
                      Someone will likely need to inspect the appliance's evaporator (cooling) coil during operation to see how it is frosting. There could be a defrost problem (see the following link) or a refrigeration system problem in which case you will need to call for service.

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's (or freezer's) defrost system work?

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com
                      =D~~~~~~

Comment

Still having problem

A service guy told my wife to throw out the freezer because if the motor is running but it is not freezing then the freon has drained out and it can not be filled because it is in a sealed unit. (He gave this advise over the phone without looking at the freezer)

Does this sound right or is this guy not accurate? The freezer isn't that old and it still looks newI hate to trow it out if it can be repaired.

Comment

the freon has drained out and it can not be filled because it is in a sealed unit. Does this sound right or is this guy not accurate?
                          No, it is not accurate. The refrigerant can usually be recharged *by a professional* (not a novice) ... depending on where the leak is. However, even if it was repairable, it may not be worthwhile to have done due to the cost involved. The sealed refrigeration system however is warranted for at least 5-years, maybe as long as 10. Check your warranty papers if the appliance isn't older than that.

It might not even be the refrigerant has leaked out, but the compressor itself faulty... if the compressor is running but the unit is not cooling. That job is even more expensive to repair but would also be covered by the same length of warranty.

He gave this advise over the phone without looking at the freezer
                          I wouldn't suggest you make any major decisions until the appliance is actually checked out. That way you know for sure and can make an informed decision between repair and replace.

BTW. Has the appliance been left unplugged for any length of time.

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com
                          =D~~~~~~

Comment

It has been unplugged now for about three weeks. I initially tried unplugging it for 24 hrs and then plugged it back in. It didn't help. Blew warm air and wouldn't freeze water in an ice tray that was left overnight.

Comment

storage

Originally posted by ecoflo
                              It has been unplugged now for about three weeks.
                              No, I was wonder if maybe it had been in storage, etc. for quite a while previous to the current malfunction.

If it had been stored (unplugged for a long period of time - months, etc.), its internal refrigerant tubing could have developed leaks during that time. If it has been in continuous use (until the problem occurred), that would not likely be the problem.

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com
                              =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =