Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Dryer line

I plan on running a gas supply line to my gas dryer. To make the final connection easier I plan on using black iron for most of the run then for the last 5 feet using flex copper. The black iron will be below the floor in the basement then copper thru the floor into wall behind dryer. Any special requirements that I need to know about before I run this line. I plan on installing a valve as the pipe exits the wall, before the dryer hose. Do I need to install a tee with a short nipple and cap for dirt collection? Is a mechanical compression fitting OK for the copper line?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Copper may only be used if the gas is certified to contain less than 0.3grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100cu.ft of gas (requires a written letter of certification from the gas supplier. International Residential Code IRC-2414.5.2 and Uniform Plumbing Code UPC-1210.1.1

Copper tubing used for GAS Supply must be labelled by the manufacturer as listed for GAS service IRC 2412.5 & UPC 1211.8

Compression fittings may not be used. Requires flared fittings that are labelled as approved for GAS SERVICE IRC-2414.10.3 or UPC-1211.2.2

Mechanical fittings (flared fittings) may not be located in concealled locations IRC-2415.3 & UPC-1211.13

Shutoff valve must be readily accessible, must be on the same floor level and must be located within 6ft of the appliance IRC-2420.1.3 & 2420.5 UPC-1211.4

Drip stubs are required at all changes from horizontal to vertical risers and all vertical drops to horizontal lines or fittings. IRC-2419.2 & UPC 1211.5

Comment

Thanks for the help!! Do I have to worry about the different metals coming into contact - copper and black iron pipe.

Thanks again

Comment

You will need a male iron pipe x flare fitting to connect the copper. Make sure it is a brass or bronze flare adapter that is rated for gas service to make the transition from iron to copper.

Also, do not use the thin white teflon tape that is commonly sold in hardware stores. Pipe dope would be the preferred method on the black iron pipe fittings and may also be used to connect the flare adapter to the iron pipe.

If you do happen to use PTFE (teflon) tape be sure to get the "Yellow Gas Tape" and be sure to wrap at least three layers tightly in the direction of the threads.

You can find rolls of copper tubing that is labelled as approved for gas in the plumbing department of most home supply stores.

Just make sure all tubing and fittings are labelled as approved for gas.

Do not apply dope or teflon tape to flare fittings. They are finely machined fittings and dope or tape will interfere with the seal.

Make sure to test all joints with a 50/50 mix of water and liquid dishwashing soap. If you see any bubbles forming the joint is not sealed correctly. (Childrens play bubble soap makes an excellant test solution for gas lines.)

Comment

LazyPup

Thanks again - I appreciate you sharing your knowledge

Thanks

Comment

I did installs and repairs for Sears for ten years. A water leak will be annoying, a gas leak will kill you. Stay with black pipe for the supply and stainless for the flex. It is safer and just about bullet proof.
            Just my opinion.
            Paul

Comment

I'd go with BonesandFeathers on this one, run the black pipe through the floor behind the dryer(you'll have room since the dryer can't be pushed back all the way anyway). Then run a stainless flex connector from the cutoff on the pipe(behind the dryer) to the dryer gas inlet. No need for a trap on the dryer but you could put one in the basement under the dryer if you wanted.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =