Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Aid Gas Dryer

My gas dryer will ignite, but will not stay lit. After 60-90 seconds it shuts off. I've changed the thermalfuse, the Thermastatfix and the coil valves with no result. What else can I try?

Sounds like you need a good cleaning. Cut the gas off, pull the dryer away from the wall and clean the vent/blower system real good. Gas dryers will build up lint and cause the limit to cut out. Clean it good and try again. You will need to dissasemble some parts of the blower/vent system to do this.

Comment

Also check out the little flapper door on the through the wall vent. Sometimes the flappers get stuck or in some cases we find a bird has attempted building a nest in there and restricting the airflow.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I've cleaned it really well with no success. A small portion of the blue flame, when lit, appears to be coming back towards the front of the dryer slightly. I wonder if this has anything to do with it shutting itself off? Also, there is an adaptor on the side of the metal cone that house the ignitor. Could this piece be part of the problem?

quote:Originally posted by JCA1

Sounds like you need a good cleaning. Cut the gas off, pull the dryer away from the wall and clean the vent/blower system real good. Gas dryers will build up lint and cause the limit to cut out. Clean it good and try again. You will need to dissasemble some parts of the blower/vent system to do this.

Comment

Have you checked the venting system like LazyPup advised? Have someone go outside to the vent, turn the dryer on and see if it's blowing.

There is a spoon behind the ignitor, over the burner, to control flame pattern. If it's rusted out bad it could cause your problems. Anything that will allow the flame to overheat the limit will cause this problem, but lets make sure we're on the same page here. Your dryer comes on and ignites, burns for just a few seconds, stays off a minute or so and relites, over and over again. Is this right?

Comment

I have checked the vent and it is blowing outside. There appears to be no blockage.

You are correct that it ignites, stays on a few seconds, shuts off and then will come on again a few minutes later.

Have you checked the venting system like LazyPup advised? Have someone go outside to the vent, turn the dryer on and see if it's blowing.

There is a spoon behind the ignitor, over the burner, to control flame pattern. If it's rusted out bad it could cause your problems. Anything that will allow the flame to overheat the limit will cause this problem, but lets make sure we're on the same page here. Your dryer comes on and ignites, burns for just a few seconds, stays off a minute or so and relites, over and over again. Is this right?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by repairagain
              it ignites, stays on a few seconds, shuts off and then will come on again a few minutes later.
              Is it the flame you're talking about that stays on for a few seconds or just the ignitor glowing?

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
              =D~~~~~~

Comment

Normally this is due to restricted air flow. Did you dissasemble the blower housing and check in there for blockage? I know you said you cleaned it but every time I've seen this problem a vent repair or cleaing solved it. There is a little black part mounted on the flame tube beside the burner. See if you can jump the wires there and try it. DO NOT leave it this way if it works. I'm not sure how many wires are there, I'm thinking just two, if more than two don't jump it.

Comment

It's the blue flame.
                  quote:Originally posted by Dan O.

it ignites, stays on a few seconds, shuts off and then will come on again a few minutes later.
                  Is it the flame you're talking about that stays on for a few seconds or just the ignitor glowing?

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ill check the blower housing again as well as jump the black part for there are only two wires. Thanks

Normally this is due to restricted air flow. Did you dissasemble the blower housing and check in there for blockage? I know you said you cleaned it but every time I've seen this problem a vent repair or cleaing solved it. There is a little black part mounted on the flame tube beside the burner. See if you can jump the wires there and try it. DO NOT leave it this way if it works. I'm not sure how many wires are there, I'm thinking just two, if more than two don't jump it.

Comment

The blower housing is completely clean. I jumped the two wires on the plastic part attached to the burner cone. The gas would not ignite until I broke the circut. Then it would go out if I reconnected the circut. If I let the gas burn, it would shut off as before, prior to when it should have.

Comment

quote:I know you said you cleaned it but every time I've seen this problem a vent repair or cleaning solved it.
                        It is sometimes possible to rule out the venting as a possible cause by totally disconnecting it from the dryer for a load or two to see if it performs any differently. *NOTE: Do not use it like that except for the limited purpose of testing. Gas dryers MUST be vented outdoors.

I jumped the two wires on the plastic part attached to the burner cone. The gas would not ignite until I broke the circuit. Then it would go out if I reconnected the circuit.
                        I think you may have a bad flame sensor (see the following link).

- Popular KitchenAid Dryer Flame Sensor
                        LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=2681

JMO

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =