Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to Recall Program and THANK YOU

First thank you to everyone for contributing to this post. My daughter just bought a house with a GE refrigerator purchased in 2005 Model DSS****** that howels all the time. I found this thread through a Google search.

We called the GE customer service number listed on this thread and the next day received a free replacement mother board by FedEx. Not bad for a eight year old unit. Installation was very easy except there is one "cueve ball" to watch for.

1. Unplug unit and remove the access panel to the mother board.
    2. Unplug all the wire clips attached to the mother board (one could not be removed until the board was pulled loose).
    3. The board is held in by four or five small plastic clips. Use a small screw driver to press the side of each clip to free the board.
    4. Now the curve ball. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED CAREFULLY! Some model numbers require you to cut the white wire on the 9 pin connector and also cut another wire on a capacitor. NOT ALL MODELS REQUIRE THESE STEPS. Ours did not.
    5. Reattach the mother board, wire clips and cover plate and you are done. It took 20 minutes for the first time but I could do it again in 10 minutes.

GE knows they have a bad batch of parts installed in their units and even though they are 8 years old will provide free replacements to those smart enough to do the research and installation themselves.

Thank you again.

Comment

Also no luck

I also called the Consumer relation last week and got Jennifer on the line. She insist of saying that there is no recall for my fridge. She offered to sell me the part for 90 bucks without shipping.

She gave me a case number, i may have to give this a try again in the next few days. I heard once a case is opened, you're stuck with that rep. Has anyone else got through with getting the part sent free recently?

Originally posted by rayban776 View Post
      Well, I called today to try and get a free board. The customer relations person at 1-800-386-1215 was very nice. I thought I was home free. She gave me a case number and then told me to call 1-800-749-6629 for the recall department. I gave them my Model #GSH22KGRECC and sn#ZG224054. She then told me that the recall program ended in 2010 but she could have a board sent for $100 which is supposedly half price. I told her I would buy one of the ones off Amazon.

Should I try again to get them to send me one or am I out of luck. I told her several times that many have got free board but she insisted the program ended even thought it seems like some people on this forum are still getting free ones sent to them.

Comment

Maybe this will help.......

From reading previous posts, GE has two phone numbers. One is "Customer Service" and I think the other is "Customer Relations" (or something like that). I don't remember which one we called but read back on previous posts in this thread because others stated one number provided better results.

GE is right, they do not have an official warranty recall on this part. They probably should have but they don't. Ask this question in your claim. "This site is evidence that there are many others that have reported defects caused by this faulty part. Why has GE failed to recognize this fact with an official recall notice?" State this in your claim. How many others are just putting up with these howling noises just because they think it is normal? In your discussions with them also put two facts in as you state your case:
        1. This refrigerator has been making these noises since it was almost new and you just thought that was normal. Over the years you became very dis-satisfied with this GE product and when others in the family or friends also complained to you it prompted you to do your research. You are very dis-satisfied and may not consider GE products in the future. Others you know have made the same observations to you.
        2. State that your internet research found the reference to this defect on this internet site. This site indicates many others have had this problem. From GE's experience with dealing with others on this site, GE has resolved complaints by either:

a. shipping you the part for free and you pay the service rep of your choice to install or
        b. shipping the part for free and you install, and
        c. also, it appears that early in the defect history, some received a free part and free service.

To better organize yourself, take the time to write your complaint points down before calling. This should help you to be better prepared to state your case.

Good luck,

Lee

Comment

Computer Board Part Numbers

I had my computer board replaced under warranty back in June 2009.
          This fixed the howling fan issue.

I have just had another problem that I have fixed after finding a burned
          out defrost heater. I changed the defrost heater on Friday (2 days ago)
          and so far so good. I noticed that the defroster replacement part number
          has been changed. The failed defroster was a single element, while the
          replacement is now a 2 element part. This is a GE factory change. I can
          only assume that the change was made to fix a problem with the defrost
          functionality when using a single element?

I noticed that the compressor seems to run alot. It does shut off but
          it seems as if it is running alot.

I checked the part number of the computer board that the GE service
          technician installed back in 2009. -->
          WR55X10656
          while the part number of the board that is available today is --->
          WR55X10942

Does anyone know the difference of these 2 part numbers. What was
          fixed between these two? I want to know if there are any fixes that
          I should be concerned about?

My model number is GSS20IETAWW

Thank You
          Joe

Comment

Ge pss23mgsa

Wondering if this model could also have the same problem with the defrost fan? Vintage '05 purchase.
            Just started a few weeks back with a whirling sound like it wants to kick in and continues to rev up and down and then eventually stops.
            Anybody?

Comment

Wondering if this model could also have the same problem with the defrost fan?
              You would be referring to the evaporator fan motor in the freezer compartment. There is no defrost fan.

a whirling sound like it wants to kick in and continues to rev up and down
              That is the symptom of a faulty 'mother board' which on your model takes the same replacement as PMfrankfx mentioned. I do not know the difference between them but hopefully they have been updated to avoid future similar failures.

LINK > GE PSS23MGSABB Mother Board WR55X10942

JFYI

Dan O.
              Appliance411.com
              The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ge pss23mgsa

Thx Dan O.

Based on all the chatter I've been reading it sounded similar but being the novice that I am I was looking for more confirmation.
                Now I know how to proceed with GE when I call them.

thx

Comment

Ge pss23mgsa

Should I succeed in getting GE to send a replacement part... how easy/difficult is it to replace the defective part on my own?
                  I am fairly handy, but this is an area i am not familiar.
                  Any feedback or help is much appreciated.

thx again

Comment

Originally posted by nirekire
                    how easy/difficult is it to replace the defective part on my own?
                    TiIngot stated:

Originally posted by TiIngot
                    It took 20 minutes the first time but I could do it again in 10 minutes.
                    JFYI

Dan O.
                    Appliance411.com
                    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

• Success!

For the people too lazy to read thru this entire thread... Post #88 by lothian worked perfectly for me and my model PSS23MSTE SS.

Originally posted by lothian View Post

... My call to GE
                      With my appliance model & serial numbers in hand, my call to the GE Appliance Consumer Relations line proceeded as follows...

- After jotting down the rep's name and extension number, I provided my name and phone number. I then calmly read the following succinct, prepared statement: "My refrigerator, model PSS26SGRE, makes an intermittent loud howling fan noise from the freezer. I understand this is a known problem to GE, and that an internal recall program exists for the faulty part that causes it. I would like that replacement part sent to me."

- I provided my serial number upon request. The rep explained that my model was no longer under warranty; she then offered to schedule a service technician to visit my home. I countered with: "I would like the replacement part sent to me under the 'Main Board Program'. May I have a case number for this call, please."

- The rep was very polite, and seemed to shift to a different mode immediately. She reiterated my request, provided me a case number, and turned to the business of gathering requisite shipping information. She then summarized that the replacement part would be sent to me at no cost--and sans warranty--via FedEx 5-day. I confirmed the part number (WR55X10942), and requested the part be sent overnight. She agreed to send it FedEx 2-day. I do not need to return the defective part. ...

Comment

• Question Regarding GSC23LSRCSS & Seral No : RH...

Originally posted by ockkysan View Post
                        For the people too lazy to read thru this entire thread... Post #88 by lothian worked perfectly for me and my model PSS23MSTE SS.
                        I am also facing noise issue. My Model No is GSC23LSRCSS and Serial No #RH...

Based on Serial Number and Year, it looks like it is due to faulty main board which should be covered but I was unable to find same Model Number GSC .

replace dot with .

gefrigeratorrepair(dot)blogspot(dot)com/2011/03/text-of-ge-letter-advising-technicians.html

Do I still qualify for Free replacement ?

Comment

• computer board

I'm afraid we can't qualify to tell you if that board is still available. you must contact GE.
                          This is an ongoing thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                            I'm afraid we can't qualify to tell you if that board is still available. you must contact GE.
                            This is an ongoing thread.
                            I called GE 18003861215 and rep took some time to verify Serial#, Model # and later he said that recall program ended last year. He was offering 50% discount ( Full price is 218$) on part and 99$ for Diagnostic which I have declined. I asked him to again check with his manager to verify that recall program has ended and whether he could give me part free under that recall program but he said sorry that program ended end of 2012, although, he can send me part for 60$ only ( 50$ for part, 5$ for tax and 5$ for S&H) so I have ordered part.

Comment

• I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Glad I found this forum/thread.

I have a GE GSL25JIFTF BS side by side fridge/freezer.
                              My Fridge was making a pulsing/howling noise. Upon closer inspection, I isolated the noise to the evaporator fan - it was pulsing in strength. About 1 second intervals.

Ended up replacing the evaporator fan with part # WR23X10467 which has fan #WR60X10141 with the additional LIGHT BULB HARNESS for my specific model. This way I did not need to cut/strip any wires. For the extra $10 I figured it was worth it., compared to the basic part #WR60X10141.
                              Just installed it via this video:
                              (sorry cannot post links - YouTube video title is)
                              Refrigerator Repair- Replacing the Evaporator Fan Motor (GE Part # WR60X10141)

The sound is now gone!
                              Hope that helps someone.

Comment

• New board shipped

I have a GE Profile Arctica Side by Side model number PSS26SGRBSS, serial starts with HG44, that has the howling freezer disease. I called the 800 386-1215 Customer Service number this morning.

I used the "My refrigerator model is this number, and it makes an intermittent, loud, howling, fan noise from the freezer. I understand this is a known problem to GE, and that an internal recall program exists for the faulty part that causes it. I would like that part sent to me under the Main Board Program." line with the representative.

She took my Model and Serial number, which appears, from another link I found in this blog, outside the program. She put me on hold for several minutes, came back and told me that the refrigerator was not covered, but that she had a discounted part that she could sell to me for $25 and waive the overnight shipping. Credit card purchase for $27.

Update:
                                The part arrived the next morning. I swapped out the boards per the included instructions. The noise stopped, but it appears that my fridge side temperature is higher than shown on the controls. Anyone else seen this after a swap?
                                Last edited by BobsUrUncle; 12-15-2014, 02:27 PM. Reason: Updated post install

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =