Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also got my 6 yr old fridge repair fully covered

I got the cost covered to fix my fridge, but apparently you gotta know who to talk to and what to say. Here are the details:

My Model: GE side-by-side PSS23MGSABB (manuf. 2005 or 2006, not sure)

Call this number: 1-800-386-1215
    * You will get a general customer service rep who will swear there is no recall for this situation and that you must pay for everything.
    * You have to ask to talk to someone in CUSTOMER RELATIONS

When talking to Customer Relations:
    * They can verify if you are part of the Main Board Program (presumably, this is an insider recall program)
    * They will create a case number for you and schedule a tech to come out (mine came out the same day, nice!)
    * They will tell you that they will cover the cost of parts and half the cost of labor. You are responsible for 1/2 the labor and the tech's home visit fee (around $80).
    * They may or may not tell you that most tech's will willingly waive the home visit fee as long as a repair is made. You will need to ask the tech if he/she will do that when they get there.
    * The Customer Relations rep will not tell you, unless you prompt them, that there is a way to get the other half of the labor fee waived. I noticed a slight hesitation in my rep's voice when she mentioned the 1/2 off labor, so I decided to ask if they can waive the WHOLE cost since it's a known issue... at which point she told me that they can IF the tech calls in while he's at the repair site and says that "the repair is part of a recall that the customer should have been notified about". The tech can call the same 800 number, ask for CUSTOMER RELATIONS, and give them your case number. (My rep noted on my case # that the other half should be waived if the tech calls in.)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone else. Maybe it will take some of the mystery out of the whole process. I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this site before scheduling a repair, otherwise I would have been out a lot more $$ !

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all who have posted here I am getting my new control board today .. called customer service relations # because of this post I already had a service call scheduled but I cxld it
      .. and got the same thing you got I cant thank you enough you have saved me a ton of money I hope it fixes the problem .. My condensor fan wasnt running and my compressor was very hot I read some other posts and they all point to the control board , so I put a box fan behind the fridge and My freezer went from 18 degrees to negative -2 / excellent ,
      reading your post I told Ge that I was having the same issues .. keeep posting

I am also going With Option 1

Originally posted by fleish View Post
      Just wanted to add another testimony to the list & provide the number you need to call to get something done about it. The regular GE support representative I spoke to (Phillip) was rude & dismissive about the problem. He kept telling me the same thing over and over, that they'd have to send a technician out to verify what the problem is. I kept trying to get him to verify what I'd read on this thread, that the model number had a known issue and he repeatedly refused, citing that the only way to know this was to have a technician come out and verify. After hearing his soapbox speech many times over I asked to speak to his manager and got transferred to consumer relations @ 800.386.1215, where Edith promptly & politely looked up my model/serial number and confirmed the issue and gave me 3 options for repair:

1) Send me the part to self-install. Free of charge
      2) Send me the part and have a technician come out to install. Charge for labor
      3) Let me repair it myself, they would then reimburse up to $220 (this was based on the age of the unit, model # GSH25JSRFSS)

Going with option #1. And never calling GE's main support before trying consumer relations again.
      Last edited by oclufNJ; 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone on this thread for the great info! I called the customer service rep from GE yesterday. She is really nice and recongize the problem right the way. I describle to her the howling noise with the GE side by side which I had. She will send me the main board free of charge asap! I will follow up with the update once I receive the part and install it.

Thanks for a great info, save me a tons of time and $.

Update Got the main board today Monday Holoween!!! installed so far so good keep my fingers cross.

Thanks
        Last edited by tmtplyb; 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Please help if you know what the cause of ice in the freezer. I replaced the mother board from GE, the refrig. work great since Nov. now it running in to the problem of Icing in the freezer, and it not cool as it use to be most of the ice cream melt

Please help!
          Defrost heater?
          Switch?
          Defrost Thermostat?

Comment

One more kudo to the original poster with that magic Customer Relation number!

I have 2004 GE Profile Stainless model PSS26SGRB. I called into 800 386 1215 and did exactly what you folks had described. Took 50 minutes to get a rep on line (long wait) but only 7 minutes to get the problem resolved.

I didn't have to pay for anything - the board is supposed to be shipped to me next week

The GE rep was super helpful. She gave me her name, Phone# -Extension AND case # and said she will call me next week to verify that the part has arrived. I will update this forum next week

Comment

Dang

I unfortunately didn't get as lucky as other people... I followed the same steps as above, called the customer relations number, and told the lady what the problem was.

She said she would send out a repair guy who would diagnose the problem: $79 visit fee.

I said... is this possibly a known issue, and you can just send me the defective part? She said "I have no way of knowing what the problem is, that is what the repair guy is for."

So the repair guy comes out. He had ONE thing with him -- the control board. Somehow he already knew what was wrong, hmmmm

So I said, do these things go out a lot on these fridges? And he's like "No no... um... just being in the business for a while you start to get a feeling for what might be wrong." Guess he had a pretty good feeling, since he had exactly the part that was needed before he even got here.

Anyway, total was $311 for him to replace the control board. Took all of about 4 minutes.

Maybe I needed to be more forceful about the fact that I already knew from the internet as to what the problem was, and that they should fix it for free... but at no point did anyone suggest this was a recurring problem that they knew about.

Oh well. At least my fridge doesn't howl anymore.

Comment

Also, if you google WR55X10942, they are for sale all over the place. Amazon has it for $92. They charged me $140 for it, you could buy it yourself and install it yourself and save $209.

Comment

Originally posted by tmtplyb View Post
                  Thanks everyone on this thread for the great info! I called the customer service rep from GE yesterday. She is really nice and recongize the problem right the way. I describle to her the howling noise with the GE side by side which I had. She will send me the main board free of charge asap! I will follow up with the update once I receive the part and install it.

Thanks for a great info, save me a tons of time and $.

Update Got the main board today Monday Holoween!!! installed so far so good keep my fingers cross.

Thanks
                  UPDATE:

THe board was delivered as promised on Jan 24. I replaced it earlier today (Took about 6 minutes) and you could say that ghost in the refrigerator has been exorcised. The ghostly moaning sound is now gone.

Thanks again to the original poster

Comment

Originally posted by friendlyghost View Post
                    One more kudo to the original poster with that magic Customer Relation number!

I have 2004 GE Profile Stainless model PSS26SGRB. I called into 800 386 1215 and did exactly what you folks had described. Took 50 minutes to get a rep on line (long wait) but only 7 minutes to get the problem resolved.

I didn't have to pay for anything - the board is supposed to be shipped to me next week

The GE rep was super helpful. She gave me her name, Phone# -Extension AND case # and said she will call me next week to verify that the part has arrived. I will update this forum next week

Got the board! Installed and it worked! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by friendlyghost View Post
                      Got the board! Installed and it worked! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Hi Friendlyghost,

I just installed the main board I received from GE yesterday. This is the 2nd main board replacement. The first one was replaced about 4 years ago by the GE tech (same howling noise).

There is a 2 pin wire harness also included with the new board but my current board already has this 2 pin (red and white wires) harness installed. The instructions mention cutting a blue wire on J3 pin 10. Did you cut this wire? Does anyone know what this blue wire is for? I did not cut it and the fridge seems to be working, no more howling!

Thanks,
                      Greg.
                      Last edited by gregj; 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Worked for me

Originally posted by fleish View Post
                        Just wanted to add another testimony to the list & provide the number you need to call to get something done about it. The regular GE support representative I spoke to (Phillip) was rude & dismissive about the problem. He kept telling me the same thing over and over, that they'd have to send a technician out to verify what the problem is. I kept trying to get him to verify what I'd read on this thread, that the model number had a known issue and he repeatedly refused, citing that the only way to know this was to have a technician come out and verify. After hearing his soapbox speech many times over I asked to speak to his manager and got transferred to consumer relations @ 800.386.1215, where Edith promptly & politely looked up my model/serial number and confirmed the issue and gave me 3 options for repair:

1) Send me the part to self-install. Free of charge
                        2) Send me the part and have a technician come out to install. Charge for labor
                        3) Let me repair it myself, they would then reimburse up to $220 (this was based on the age of the unit, model # GSH25JSRFSS)

Going with option #1. And never calling GE's main support before trying consumer relations again.
                        Thanks to all for the post. The above post worked for me. Went with option 1.

Back story. I explained the known issue and was offered a 50% discount on the part. I explained the known issue again and told the rep about the above 3 options and that I was willing to go with option 1. She proceeded to open a case file and have the board FedEx-ed to me at no charge.

Just be persistent if the rep you get does not offer a free replacement.

Now you won't believe this! My reps (Jennifer) birthday is January 25th, the same day that my fridge was installed. 01/25/2005

Comment

GE still helping solve howling problem.

This thread helped me. My fridge was bought Aug 2004. Started howling Jan 2012. Called customer service Aug 2012 and explained. I offered to install the part if they would do their part and send it to me at no cost. Mentioned this website and that the part that was defective is WR55X10942. Look on GE website and be sure that this part # is what your fridge needs. Note: part description says, "This part fixes the following: "unusual noise".
                          They won't usually do the labor AND the parts. You should offer to do labor OR pay for the part (maybe at a discounted price). Good luck.

Comment

Success at Getting a Complementary Replacement Main Board from GE!

The Problem
                            The "intermittent howling freezer" issue affects a variety of refrigerator models that use the same model mainboard (MB), which is the source of the problem. Add'l symptoms of a faulty MB include issues at the ice/water dispenser when dispenser paddle is depressed:
                            - dispenser LEDs dim and no ice is dispensed;
                            - dispenser LEDs dim and no water is dispensed;
                            - damper solenoid clicks and evaporator fan shuts off.

Our model, PSS26SGRE (circa 2005), suffers from the howling and the dispenser problems, clearly indicating a faulty MB.

During online research, I happened upon this conversation thread--specifically, the post I include below. I studied the text of it carefully then contacted 'GE Appliances Consumer Relations' (800-386-1215) and choose option #5 ("Speak with a consumer relations advocate"). The result of my call today, 08/31/2011... GE is sending me a replacement MB (p/n WR55X10942) via FedEx at absolutely no charge.

The bottom line:
                            GE is aware of consistent and pervasive problems caused by a specific and faulty MB installed into various models of refrigerators built ~2003 thru 2006. GE issued an internal recall under the moniker "Main Board Program". If your refrigerator has any or all of the issues described here and elsewhere, as a registered owner of the affected appliance you are entitled to a free replacement of the defective MB.

Study the post below before you call. When you do call, be respectful, patient and firm with the consumer relations advocate who speaks with you. It is evident from the many accounts posted in this thread that different representatives interpret the GE's policy... well... differently. If you are connected with a nudgy rep, simply keep in mind that you are entitled to a replacement part at no cost and press the matter with a firm tone using the information here. If it becomes obvious the rep is not working in your favor, simply end the call, then begin the process with another Consumer Relations Advocate.

My call to GE
                            With my appliance model & serial numbers in hand, my call to the GE Appliance Consumer Relations line proceeded as follows...

- After jotting down the rep's name and extension number, I provided my name and phone number. I then calmly read the following succinct, prepared statement: "My refrigerator, model PSS26SGRE, makes an intermittent loud howling fan noise from the freezer. I understand this is a known problem to GE, and that an internal recall program exists for the faulty part that causes it. I would like that replacement part sent to me."

- I provided my serial number upon request. The rep explained that my model was no longer under warranty; she then offered to schedule a service technician to visit my home. I countered with: "I would like the replacement part sent to me under the 'Main Board Program'. May I have a case number for this call, please."

- The rep was very polite, and seemed to shift to a different mode immediately. She reiterated my request, provided me a case number, and turned to the business of gathering requisite shipping information. She then summarized that the replacement part would be sent to me at no cost--and sans warranty--via FedEx 5-day. I confirmed the part number (WR55X10942), and requested the part be sent overnight. She agreed to send it FedEx 2-day. I do not need to return the defective part.

Thank you to all who experienced and endured the resolution of this problem before me, and posted your account. It helped me.

Do NOT pay to replace this defective​ part! Make the call and make your case.

the infamous "main board" Click image for larger version

Name:	GE Profile Main Board.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	87084
                            a service manual illustration of the same: Click image for larger version

Name:	GE Profile Refrigerator PROFILE ARTICA SERVICE MANUAL-Main Control Panel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	87085

Originally posted by maesie View Post
                            I got the cost covered to fix my fridge, but apparently you gotta know who to talk to and what to say. Here are the details:

My Model: GE side-by-side PSS23MGSABB (manuf. 2005 or 2006, not sure)

Call this number: 1-800-386-1215
                            * You will get a general customer service rep who will swear there is no recall for this situation and that you must pay for everything.
                            * You have to ask to talk to someone in CUSTOMER RELATIONS

When talking to Customer Relations:
                            * They can verify if you are part of the Main Board Program (presumably, this is an insider recall program)
                            * They will create a case number for you and schedule a tech to come out (mine came out the same day, nice!)
                            * They will tell you that they will cover the cost of parts and half the cost of labor. You are responsible for 1/2 the labor and the tech's home visit fee (around $80).
                            * They may or may not tell you that most tech's will willingly waive the home visit fee as long as a repair is made. You will need to ask the tech if he/she will do that when they get there.
                            * The Customer Relations rep will not tell you, unless you prompt them, that there is a way to get the other half of the labor fee waived. I noticed a slight hesitation in my rep's voice when she mentioned the 1/2 off labor, so I decided to ask if they can waive the WHOLE cost since it's a known issue... at which point she told me that they can IF the tech calls in while he's at the repair site and says that "the repair is part of a recall that the customer should have been notified about". The tech can call the same 800 number, ask for CUSTOMER RELATIONS, and give them your case number. (My rep noted on my case # that the other half should be waived if the tech calls in.)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone else. Maybe it will take some of the mystery out of the whole process. I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this site before scheduling a repair, otherwise I would have been out a lot more $$ !
                            Last edited by lothian; 09-07-2012, 02:00 PM. Reason: corrected a couple instances of poor grammar

Comment

Great info

Wow, lots of great info. I found this thread researching my fridge noise however my noise is a rattle sound coming from the fan area, which I suppose is the fan motor instead of the board. Now that I have read this though, I wonder of my fridge is louder than it should be. Should it always be quiet? It does seem to have a howling sound sometimes but I don't know if it is more than normal or not. I just figured that's the way it is.

I may just call GE and see if I can get a free board as my part number seems to match what I've seen on here.

Comment

update on recall prgram

Well, I called today to try and get a free board. The customer relations person at 1-800-386-1215 was very nice. I thought I was home free. She gave me a case number and then told me to call 1-800-749-6629 for the recall department. I gave them my Model #GSH22KGRECC and sn#ZG224054. She then told me that the recall program ended in 2010 but she could have a board sent for $100 which is supposedly half price. I told her I would buy one of the ones off Amazon.

Should I try again to get them to send me one or am I out of luck. I told her several times that many have got free board but she insisted the program ended even thought it seems like some people on this forum are still getting free ones sent to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =