Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GE Profile Refrigerator is Brand New . . . and HOWLS

I called the place I bought the fridge a couple days after they delivered it. They said the "fans" in GE refrigerators are loud and that's the way they are - nothing they can do. After reading these posts, and almost screaming at the noise, I believe something is wrong. Also, besides the noise the freezer, at times, there's frost on items in the freezer and the ice in the ice bucket sticks together like the cubes somewhat melted and then froze again. I like many things about this refrigerator, but the noise is going to drive me INSANE! Can anyone give me some advice? Model #PSHS6RGXCDSS. Thanks!

Comment

the noise is going to drive me INSANE! Can anyone give me some advice?
      Call in someone to actually look at it. A GE factory authorized service depot would be the best choice.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

FFairchild,
        I have just gone through this howling GE profile issue with a very similar frig to yours. Actually, not quite done, but hopefully soon to be. My model number is
        PSHS6TGXCDSS, yours is
        PSHS6RGXCDSS .
        Note that the only difference is your R and my T. Not sure of the R vs T implication, but probably very minor. By the way, the only way to find anything on these on the internet is to drop the CD, even on the GE web site.

I've been fighting GE since November about the howling noise. Got everything from a repairman that came out to my house who didn't hear the noise, so he left without doing anything, to a repairman who said the noise is 'normal', to one today who appears to finally be doing something about it. I've been on the phone about 8 times with customer support. The last few times, I told them about the fix being the control board. They always indicated that first, the noise wasn't a problem, and that second, the control board could not fix it. It wasn't until I read one of the letters from this site to the customer support person on the other end that they finally started to cooperate. The letter I read was one describing the sound, and the fact that changing the control board fixed it. They finally agreed to send another repairman to my house. He arrived today. He was familiar with the problem and the solution. Only hitch was that he said that he couldn't find any cases of the problem and control board fix on my exact model number. He called back to his home base, and they informed him that the control board does have this problem on my model, and that replacing it would fix it. He has ordered the new control board and it should be installed in my fridge in about a week. I hope/expect/pray that it fixes the problem.

The following things helped me, and I expect they will help you.
        1) Call GE to schedule a repairman to come out 1-800-GE-CARES.
        2) If things aren't going right, call GE Consumer Relations 800-386-1215.
        3) Stick to your guns. If they aren't being helpful on the phone, ask to speak to a supervisor.
        4) Be ready to quote a letter or two from this web site.
        5) Good chance that they'll say they have no record of the problem on your exact model number. Be ready to respond back to that one with the fact that a) It's happening to a lot of different models, b) It happened to mine with a very similar model number. c) Many of the same (defective) parts are commonly used in very similar models.
        6) Ask them to look at my case number since our model numbers are so similar. My case number is 10451680. You might wait a day or two in order to make certain that they have the latest info from today's visit (2/4/2010). It's the only visit where someone from GE admitted there is a problem with my model fridge and replacing the control board will fix it. The repairman's ID number is 109 33 0390.
        7) The part number of the replacement board for mine is WR55X10775. Since yours actually is a different model number, there's no guarantee this is the correct part number for yours, but it is very likely.
        8) Keep a journal of the case history. This helped me out quite a bit.
        9) For me, the sound is very intermittent. Can go for hours without it. It will be necessary to get the fridge to replicate the sound when the repairman is there. I've found the way to do this is unplug the fridge for 2 or more hours before the visit, and then plug it in. I would hear the sound after about 2-3 minutes and it would be pretty prevalent for maybe an hour, although it would come and go for short periods of time.
        Good luck. Above all - stick to your guns. That's been the most effective strategy for me.
        10) If the serviceman that comes to your house is not producing results, ask to make certain that a different one comes the next time. One was very convinced that there was no way to fix the problem. Unfortunately, GE Customer Relations kept contacting that one serviceman for input. Once they got a more competent serviceman to my house, things finally started to happen.
        I will let you know if the new board fixes my problem when it arrives. But all indications are that it should.
        One other point. I originally had a problem with the evaporator fan making noise last June right after I bought it. I had that replaced at that time. It fixed that noise, which was a different noise than the howling noise. However, some of these posts mention the evaporator fan as possibly being related to the problem, so I thought I would mention it for the sake of completeness.
        Last edited by DSPGuy; 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something. Maybe important.

Comment

DPSGuy you are GREAT! Usually, I'm up for a good fight when it comes to consumer rights issues, but this one I have been dreading because I know it will be a time consuming one. But, you have given me the "will" to do just that.

I was going to start the process today, but decided to do it tomorrow. Now I think I'll wait a couple of days till your claim gets processed. I'm so glad I checked this website today! You have been so helpful!

It's funny, I had been doing more research . . . reading the user's manual, and there's a section on "normal noises". They say you "may" hear noises. They should have said you "will" hear annoying noises all day long . . . .

So thanks very, very much. I'll check back to see how it went with you.

Faye

Comment

FFairchild,
            My new control board came in two days ago. Had a GE service repairman install it yesterday. And it eliminated the noises. Bingo.

I might add that 'howling' doesn't really completely describe the cacophony of noises my refrigerator was making. I would say that mine sounded more like a barnyard full of animals, some in need of a veterinarian. Mooing, chirping, scratching, cackling, moaning. Those sorts of things. So, the whole time I was trying to get it solved, I wasn't completely convinced that the control board fix for the 'howling' sound was it. But it was.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the information they've contributed. The front line GE phone support team present themselves as being in the dark on this issue, either because they really are, or because they've been instructed to act that way. Not sure which it is. And two out of three of the GE service personnel who came to my house acted the same way. That all added up to a LOT of GE representatives saying that it isn't a problem, or it's normal, or it's a problem that can't be fixed. That erroneous front has probably convinced a lot of other suffering customers that they're stuck with a lemon refrigerator, when in reality, there's a simple fix. Without this forum, I would have been one of them.
            Thank you again,
            DSPGuy

Comment

DSPGuy - I'm so GLAD to hear this is finally over and you may get some peace and quiet in your home. I can't thank you enough for all the information. Now I'm ready except for one more question. What was the noise that the evaporator fan was making?Because I'm just like you, there are so many noises I can't really explain ALL the sounds. I'm thinking that I need to get both replaced. . . .

I'll be dealing with GE on Saturday and am armed and ready with great examples thanks to you!

Comment

As I remember, it sounded like a bearing going out. Don't know if you know what that sounds like, but us DIY'ers do. Best way I can describe it is sort of like air escaping from a blown up balloon through the filler opening while you're stretching the opening on both sides. It a sort of high pitched raspberry sound. Think of a high pitched squeaking plastic wheel on a vacuum cleaner as it rolls. Actually, that's the sound of the bearing on the wheel going bad, like the bearing going bad on the evaporator fan. It's the kind of sound that goes away when you put a little oil on the bearing in the wheel.

Hope it works out for you. Let us know.
                Later,

Comment

Some Satisfaction

Well thanks to all the past posts to this issue, I think I finaly have reached a resolution with GE. Same problem as noted by many, Howling Noise. I have replaced the condensor fax, TWICE with not luck. Called the Customer Relations Dept and after about 40 minutes and no admission of this being a GE product shortcomming, I decided to order a replacement Mother Board..$189.00 but the kind rep offered my a heck of a discount, first was quoted $89.00, ok, but suddenly realized that I was laft for a Conferance Call--I tell the rep, I gota go but that they had my contact info and could call me for billing, she kindly replied, Oh thats ok, I will send it to ya FREE--Wowthat is my kind of discount. Once I get the board and install it I will update as to the final results. I gota say thanks to those who have posted before, you helped me get my Satisfaction. Mine fridge is a older 2001 model # Gss25JFMC WW

Comment

The repairman came out today and replaced my control board WR55X10775 which is the same part number as DSPGuy's. Unfortunately the noise didn't immediately go away. The rep said to give it a few days to work in. I'm a little confused since most people who have posted here and had the control board changed saw an immediate resolution. I'm hopeful, but wary about the outcome.

Will post again on Friday. If they can't fix the noise, I will probably return the refrigerator . . .

Comment

Ffairchild,
                      I felt the same way. The control board went it, and I still heard some of the same noises, and got a bit depressed. What I found out after a day was that about 75% of the noise disappeared, but not all. What I heard immediately was part of the residual 25%. From time to time, I still hear noises coming from the frig. But the noises are not as loud, nor nearly as often. I very seldom notice them unless I'm listening for it. I hope the same is true for you. I should have made that a little more clear in my report of the results.
                      Good Luck,

Comment

Update on my new refrigerator . . . over the last 2-3 weeks . . .

1. The Control Board was replaced and about six days later the sounds pretty much went away except the high-pitched frequency.
                        2. GE repairman came out and ordered a new evaporator fan.
                        3. 2 days before the repairman showed up, most of the noises came back, but not as frequent.
                        4. The fan was replaced today although the repairman said that when these fans were originally assembled, sometimes the fan isn't positioned all the way down on the post. He made sure the new fan was positioned correctly. It did change the tone of the fan to a more reasonable sound.
                        5. I still have the high-frequency sound and some of the other noises, but I'm hoping either I will get used to them or they'll decrease more in time.

The repairman did suggest placing carpet on the wall behind the refrigerator to absorb the external sound. I'll try anything, but he noted on the receipt that I was still not satisfied with the way the refrigerator sounds.

I can say it's 75% better than it was.

Thanks for everyone's posts and best of luck with these "new and more efficient" appliances.

Comment

Thanks for all the info... I think

I recently purchased a home with GE Profile side by side that was howling almost continuously. Based on the information in this thread, I called GE and was offered a free repair call (usually $69). The repair man came out and ran the diagnostic. I proposed he replace the control board and he said he'd do it for $100. So far so good with the elimination of the howling and for $100 installed, he said I was getting off a lot cheaper than the repair that he was working up.

Thanks again all who contributed and I'll keep you posted if the noise returns.

Comment

I called and it will be 100 dollars no matter what!

I called consumer relations today and my model is GSH25KGRBWW and they stated that because my fridge was made in 2003 they can't replace my control board under the recall. It is only 2002 and 2007 models. They quoted me the part for 240.00, but could discount it to 100.00. Then they said that I could install it, but it wouldn't be under warranty. The rep then told me to recheck the Model and Serial # as that is how they look things up and determine whether it applies for a free control board. If it does however, you must have a repair tech install it for 100 dollars and then it will be covered for up to 5 years (either way it looks like I will be out $100).
                            I am going to check the model and serial tonight again. If it doesn't qualify for the recall and I can order it for 100 dollars, is it really easy enough for me to install it on my own? I am pretty handy, but never worked on a fridge. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems to me that all years with this type of side-by-side fridge can have this howling noise problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ffairchild View Post

If they can't fix the noise, I will probably return the refrigerator . . .
                              I'm very frustrated with the refrigerator noise. I find myself turning the TV volume up in the kitchen or avoiding the kitchen at all costs. Finally, I decided to call customer relations again, but this time I asked for a replacement. I spoke with the same person and at first she said, "that because the refrigerator works fine, they couldn't replace it." I commented that this refrigerator is advertised as having the "quiet package", it was a lemon and that on the internet may people have issues with the noise. She placed me on hold, came back, and said that they would give me a call to setup delivery within 10 days.

I told her that anything else I would have paid $1800 for would have gone right back to the store, but a refrigerator is hard to take back. To all of you that are dealing with the "noise" issue . . . be persistent! Don't let the noise affect your day (it sure did mine). Hopefully the new one will be fine.

Comment

I have just changed the motherboard. The noise is gone, but the frig isn't cool anymore... Any idea?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =