Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag gas dryer won't heat

I have a Maytag gas dryer, Model MDG7658BWW. It won't get hot. Any suggestions? I currently can't afford to hire someone to fix it. Thanks.

Ignitor glowing?

** It won't get hot. Any suggestions? **

If you want to try to fix it yourself a start will be observing what the gas burner's ignitor is doing when the dryer should be heating. Knowing that will help to narrow down the possibilities which will then in turn require further investigation.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The ignitor gets hot but it doesn't light the gas.

Comment

More specific description needed

Originally posted by Lauri

The ignitor gets hot but it doesn't light the gas.
        Does the ignitor stay glowing continuously or cycle on and off repeatedly??

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The ignitor goes on but just doesn't light the gas. However, it doesn't stay on constantly and it will light the gas when I put the control on delicate.

Comment

The ignitor goes on but just doesn't light the gas. However, it doesn't stay on constantly
            How long is it on and off for, seconds, minutes, more???

it will light the gas when I put the control on delicate.
            Sorry but I have no idea what could possibly cause all of your stated symptoms. As long as the burner is getting power (as evidenced by the ignitor glowing), its operation (glowing, lighting, etc.) should be consistent.

All the temperature control settings do is provide power to the gas burner mechanism at different temperatures. If the burner is getting power, it should be operating no matter what temperature setting the dryer is set to.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The ignitor doesn't light the gas all the time. I noticed that during a drying cycle the ignitor goes on and off without igniting the gas. The ignitor goes on for maybe 30 seconds and then fades away, without lighting the gas.
              Last edited by Lauri; 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

I noticed that during a drying cycle the ignitor goes on and off without igniting the gas. The ignitor goes on for maybe 30 seconds and then fades away, without lighting the gas.
                Not igniting the gas but I hope not releasing it either.

The sequence of events should be; the dryer calls for heat, the ignitor glows white hot, the ignitor shuts off and at the same time gas is released into the combustion chamber. The released gas is ignited by the now slightly cooling ignitor. Once lit the flame stays on until one of the thermostats stops power to the gas valve.

The ignitor cycling on and off but the gas valve not releasing gas (nor producing a flame for obvious reasons) is often caused by a failing solenoid coil (see the following link) on the gas valve.

LINK > Maytag MDG7658BWW Gas Valve Solenoid Coils

JMO

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com
                =D~~~~~~

Comment

It seems if I let the dryer "cool off" between loads (30+ mins.), the gas will light as it's suppose to. Do you still it could be the gas valve solenoid coil kit?

Comment

If I let the dryer "cool off" between loads, the [burner] will light as it's suppose to.
                    On any heat setting, not just delicate? (not that it matters)

Those solenoid coils are bad for working once or twice but crapping out as they get warm from use. Your latest observations does not change my opinion of them being a possible cause.

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The link you previously posted for the parts, do you know if that includes both solenoids? At Sears, they quoted me 28.99 for each but then mentioned that they did have a kit for 18.00+.

Comment

Here's an online parts place that, when you type in the appliance model number, the site will take you to an exploded diagram page. Here you can find the two solenoids. They are solenoid 7 and 8 - one is gas booster solenoid the other is main gas open. Prices are also on the page.
                        Appliance Parts From PartSelect | Repair Parts For Major Appliances

Comment

The link you previously posted for the parts, do you know if that includes both solenoids?
                          Yes, it comes exactly as seen in the picture, both (2) solenoid coils. It quite possibly also includes installation directions.

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

We replaced the solenoids with ones purchased at Sears, however, we got the $18+ ones. So far, the dryer has worked great. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =