Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchenaid KUDS01IJWH0 Dishwasher blinking clean light

I have a Kitchenaid Model KUDS01IJWH0 (white) dishwasher, purchased 11/2000. On the front panel, the clean light just keeps blinking. I can not get it to reset. I tried turning off the circuit breaker for 3 hours and then turning back on. Still blinking. I can get it to do the cycle drain. Once that completes, I get the blinking clean light. My perception is that the cleaning of the dishes has been getting worse with time. We have to do a considerable amount of pre-rinsing to have them come out clean and dry once we wash them. I press these buttons Hi Temp Scrub, energy saver dry, Hi Temp Scrub, energy saver dry and it seemed to go thru the diagnostics. Anyway, the blinking clean light went out. I then tried to do a load of wash. The first time, it seemed to work, only shorter wash time. The next time, it quit mid wash and the blinking clean light returned. Once again did the diagnostics. I checked these items with a quality digital VOM and quality digital thermometer. Heater element 12.5 ohms at ambient 72F temperature. Thermistor 66.5K ohms at ambient 72F temperature. at 117F, 17-20K ohms. I re-ran this test several times. Generally it was closer to 20K ohms. From what you have seen, do these resistance readings look to be correct? What would you check next? BTW, my thermister looks like a small thermometer well that inserts inside the tube. About 2" long and about 5/16" in diameter. I did not measure this. Any ideas on what I should check next? Thanks!

More accurate problem description needed

the clean light just keeps blinking.
    Does it blink continuously or is some discernible pattern? (eg. blink 3 times, pause, blink 3 times, pause, etc.)

do these resistance readings look to be correct?
    Their values should be stated on the dishwasher's wiring diagram which on a dishwasher should be behind the lower access panel in the motor compartment. On some models it may be rolled up inside the control console. In most cases testing would just be looking for a completely open circuit (infinite resistance) not just being a little off specifications.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Clean light blinks 7 times, pauses, then repeats

Dan,

Clean light blinks 7 times, pauses, then repeats. Sorry I did not put that in there. From what I can read, it is the standard error code. From everything I can read, the electronic control is the last thing to be replaced after all the other ideas are exhausted. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks!

Comment

Flashes 7 times then repeats

Not quite what I'd call a standard code although it is a common occurrence. It can be produced by a number of different causes as described at the following link:

LINK > My dishwasher's clean light is flashing 7 times and won't run. How do I reset the control?

Any ideas on what to try next?
        If the element is definitely heating, just the washer not spraying properly... for whatever reason (your statement of "the cleaning of the dishes has been getting worse" may point to that) or maybe the thermistor not registering the water temperature correctly.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 02-05-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

the washer not spraying properly

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the spec sheet. From what I can tell, the heater resistance is within the factory range fo 10-35 ohms. And the thermister is close from the temperatures that I can check. What would cause the washer to not spray properly as you say?

Comment

Poor wash action

What would cause the washer to not spray properly?
            A blockage, failure or leak in any part of the wash system would usually reduce water pressure through the whole wash system hampering its action, which could lead to your symptoms.

Making sure any filters or strainers in the pump are free from debris would likely be a first step. Looking for leaks in the wash system might be next. Poorly sealing spray arms, leaking adjustable rack spray arm manifold (see the following link) and loose fitting pump housing cover might be most suspect. Internal damage to the pump and its impellers could also cause it.

LINK > KUDS01IJWH0 Supply Tube and Manifold Asm.

Not enough water entering the machine for a wash or it draining out prematurely could also cause washability problems.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
            Last edited by Dan O.; 02-06-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Problem resolution

What the problem turned out to be was the chopper assembly (8268383)was damaged and needed to be replaced. I also replaced the check valve (8268389). That did it!

Comment

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =