Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminate Counter Top Seam - ????

I recently replaced old wood bench tops in my garage with Pre made Laminate countertops.. to cover the 14 feet of surface I bought a 6 ft section and a 10 ft sections of matching 24 inch countertops with backsplash. The support framing is square and under the area where the factory finished ends of the 2 sections join, I have a crossmember so that each section can be firmly attached and drawn down with screws to the support so the seams are even.. No matter what I do, there are small gaps in the seams and in some places feel uneven. I know that this is a garage, but I do want to do the best job that I can... Is there annything that can be done or applied (seam filler or putty) that will make the seam less rough and obvious. I have asked at the local Home Depot. but the response was ....nothing, they didn't know of anything.. Any help or advise would be appreciated...

how are the sections joined together? were the ends finished with the same laminate materials to cover the "end grain?" what you may have to do is remove the laminate strips off two adjoining lengths and finish off the ends with an 8 inch block plane till they're perfectly smooth, then angle down away from the joint with the plane. adjacent to the joint glue wooden blocks and screw them if necessary. once cured, drill through both blocks and install one carriage bolt in each. then its a matter of drawing up the bolts to pull the tops together. use shims inderneath to even out any discrepancies to the counter tops

Comment

more information...

The 2 sections were butted together.. the ends were unfinished (no laminate). I just lined everything up and then screwed into the sections thru the cross member from below drawing them level/even.. the joining edges of the laminate appear to be not perfectly smooth and that is quite possibly what I am feeling / noticing... I really don't want to remove them both but....

Comment

ok, is the laminate, does it look like a wood grain or just a color. durham's wood putty when cured looks almost a blonde color. if your tops are just a color, use durham's but experiment with food coloring - water is used to activate the adhesive in durham's

Comment

Hi -- Yes you should be able to buy seam filler -- a paste sold in a tube. It is sold in various colors.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =