Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Oak Shelving Strength??

I would like to make a shelf to connect two pieces of an entertainment center (bridge over TV) connecting the two side shelf units. I would like to use solid oak (not veneer over plywood).. .QUESTION: if the shelf is made from 1 x 10 or 1 x 12 oak, will a piece with a span of 57 inches eventually sag in the middle without stiffeners added? The shelf will only hold pictures.. nothing heavy..

The simple answer is yes, over time it will sag. The easy fix is to add a piece of the same material on the front and rear edges of the shelf, glue and finish nail it to the shelf then sand and finish it all the same.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I built utility shelves from red oak planks from pallets (FREE). They averaged 1x8-1x14 again FREE. The span is 8 ft and they are holding well over 200#-400# each and have sagged only a couple of inches since I built them 10 years ago. For finished work I would personally add a brace to them in the middle.
      I also built car/truck ramps out of the wood using pieces the size of 1x10's and approx 1' long supported by 2 pieces of 1x14's about 4' long cut at an angle. The small pieces were screwed between the longer boards to form a ramp. It supports the front of my pickup no problem.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =