Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splicing cable & using electrical tape

The lighting fixture I am installing does not have a long enough wire for it to hang down to where I want it to be. I know I can buy a longer chain and extra wire, but can I connect these wires together and cover them with electrical tape instead of using wirenuts? I don't want to use wirenuts because they would be used outside of the junction box... Obviously, there's no weight on the wires as the chain takes it all...

Thanks!

No, absolutly not, all wire connections must be made within an electrical box and must use wire nuts. In order for the wire to be longer you would have to rewire the light fixture from the bulbs to the electrical box, you cannot make a splice in the wiring that is not contained within the ceiling electrical box, very dangerous to do otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by garyttu

The lighting fixture I am installing does not have a long enough wire for it to hang down to where I want it to be. I know I can buy a longer chain and extra wire, but can I connect these wires together and cover them with electrical tape instead of using wirenuts? I don't want to use wirenuts because they would be used outside of the junction box... Obviously, there's no weight on the wires as the chain takes it all...

Thanks!

Comment

I DIDNOT JUST SAY THIS DR. HYDE
      MR. JEKYL The wire nut is more important to ensure constant connection and if IF you decide to do this BIG NO-NO! make sure you tape the wire nuts.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =