Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Recessed Lighting Strings

Hello,
    I'm technologically challenged with wiring together several recessed lights. I ran a 14/2 from the panel to the first 3 way switch. Then, ran 14/3 from light to light and to the second switch. I cannot get the switches to work for some reason. The lighting cans are all wired white to white, black to black and the red is run to itself. Can some one please help so I can get out of the attic and enjoy some spring weather!
    Thanks,
    jim

You should have two 3-way switches. These are single pole,double throw types plus a 3-wire switching line.
    From the panel run a 14-2 feedline to junction point, (first 3-way switch). At this junction, you will continue with a 3-wire cable. Tie in from your 2-wire feed neutral (WHITE) to the WHITE of 3-wire (called the "lazy leg"), which runs to the WHITE terminals of all fixtures. BLACK wire of 2-wire feed ties to center (called point) terminal (brass or dark) of switch. From remaining two terminals of switch, connect the BLACK and RED of 3-wire line to the corresponding terminals on the other switch. From the HOT side of other switch, a jumper (using BLACK of a 2-wire length of 14-2) connects from the center point of second switch (HOT) to the HOT side of fixtures. Finished

Comment

By the way, most cartons of switches have a wiring diagram. If your's did not, look thru an assortment of same. I've seen them on Leviton products.

Comment

I'm sorry, but Volts is off on this one. You won't be able to wire up your circuit using the wiring that you have installed. You'll need to wire it per the following:

1. 14/2 from panel to first 3way switch

2. 14/3 from first switch to first light

3. 14/2 from first light to each light and to last light

4. 14/3 from last light to 2nd 3way switch.

The following diagram will show you how to connect these wires
        This website is for sale! danswiringpage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, danswiringpage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Make sure you lable your common wire at each 3way switch as if switch replacement is ever necessary the common wire will be obvious.

In the future, the best way to wire a 3way circuit from scratch is to run 14/2 from your panel to the first 3way switch, then run 14/3 from your first switch to your 2nd 3way switch. Then run 14/2 from your second switch to your light fixtures. Then 14/2 between all light fixtures. This ensures less complicated wiring in the light fixtures for repair or future add ons. Here's a diagram describing this easy way. http://www.danswiringpage.com/diagrams/best_3way.jpg

Hope this helps.

quote:Originally posted by adiverseone

Hello,
        I'm technologically challenged with wiring together several recessed lights. I ran a 14/2 from the panel to the first 3 way switch. Then, ran 14/3 from light to light and to the second switch. I cannot get the switches to work for some reason. The lighting cans are all wired white to white, black to black and the red is run to itself. Can some one please help so I can get out of the attic and enjoy some spring weather!
        Thanks,
        jim

Comment

Excellant. Worked like a charm. I'm indebted. If you ever make it down to the coast of Maine, drop me an Email and I'll hook you up.
          jazpek@yahoo

Comment

Thanks, glad it worked out for you. [8D]

Comment

kactuskid: If I am off in my description, then my three-way switching in many places are not working, but then again they really are. Your description is broad and vague as presented. The only proper way for this setup, however, was a wiring diagram and not gross word pictures.

Comment

I've always just put the power and/or the switch leg on the common screw and the travelers (red & black) on the other two screws and all have worked just fine. At least Adiverseone only ran the wires wrong, I once had a helper hang 9 cans in the kitchen facing upward, then couldn't figure out what was wrong when I said "well at least at night the attic will be well lit".

Comment

Working...
                X
                =