Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Post Lamp

I have an outdoor post lamp that has worked for years. It recently stopped working and I changed bulbs, which is the usual solution. It did not solve the problem. After changing the bulb, switch, checking continuity, circuit breaker, the problem seems more complex. We measured 120 V at the switch, the lampholder has continuity but when measuring voltage at the lamp, it only registers 8 - 10 volts. When checking operation at one time, the light came on for several seconds and then went out.
    The switch is in a four gang box and we discovered that the line inside the post is actually lamp cord.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

If i found lamp cord in the post i would suspect that someone installed it as a do-it-yourself project and didnt do it right. I think i would first find out what kind of wire is run from the house and replace it all if necessary

Comment

Tom: I shudder to think that common lamp cord was used to power the pole lamp and probably running back to the feed source. Yes, a rewiring job is in the offing.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =