Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding cord to appliance

I am new to this forum [8D], and most probably this question has been previously answered but I could not find anything in the previous postings.
    I am adding an elec. Cord to a range hood – the cord is a grounded non-colored wire.
    My problem is that I need to connect the correct wire to the BLACK and respectively the WHITE wire in the r-hood. I know which wire is the ground wire and which wire is the right and which the left prong, but I don’t know if I connect the left wire to the BLACK or WHITE wire in the r-hood. Help is greatly appreciated

Round cord or flat cord? Either case, the wider prong is the white wire, narrower is the black

Comment

Thx for the reply. Let me clarify what hardware I have:
      The wire I am attaching has three wires with a three prong (2 flat, 1 ground) plug. The flat plugs are of equal size.

Comment

If you are using the typical molded two wire cable like that used on lamps or appliances (Zip Cord) examine the wire carefully. you will see that one conductor has a smooth covering and the other side has molded ribs running the lengh of the wire. The molded ribs are the identified conductor and are to be used as circuit common (white wire), however, be careful about using this on a range hood, in my locality code requires range hoods to be hard wired direct, and zip cord is not suitable for hard wiring. Zip cord is only suitable for temporary wiring (intended to be connected the house wiring by means of a plug and receptacle.) Also, ZIP cord is made in many different grades. Be sure the wire you are using is the proper AWG (american wire guage) size for the rated load.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =