Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rewiring my gagage

I got 3 wires. one green, one with brown paper wrap and it's bare. One is white.
    Which one is my ground wire?

I personally have never seen a cable that contained both a green wire and a bare wire before.
    According to code specs.

White = Circuit common
    Green, yellow with a green stripe and bare = Ground

In 125/250volt wiring- Black, blue or Red are most often used as the powered conductor although you may use any color other than those specified for common (white) and ground (bare,green or yellow with green stripe)

On 125 volt circuits, Black should always be used as the primary powered conductor, while red or blue is commonly used to identify the switched conductor in a lighting circuit.

Comment

Whatever cable this is that you purchased it's not the correct one. The bare wire is always the ground, and white is the neutral. Black, red, or blue as stated by Lazy pup is the hot conductor. And green wire can never be used as a hot conductor, so you need to take it back and get a cable that contains a black, white, and bare ground wire in it. This is called romex cable and will be labled as either 12/2 plus ground or 14/2 plus ground depending on your breaker size.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =