Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 amp V 20 amp

I am running the lines in my garage and have started downstairs using 12 2 wire with 15 amp breakers. Would it be ok to pull 14 2 and 15 amp breakers upstairs? Anything hazardous in doing this?

The upstairs is going to be a studio appartment for two colledg girls. I want to make suer it is safe for them.

Thanks

AWG 12 wire is rated for a maximum of 20 amps.

AWG 14 wire is rated for a maximum of 15 amps.

Both wires are suitable for a 15 circuit.

Comment

14 gauge is ok as is 12 gauge. I personally would wire everything with 12.

Comment

Yeah man I love this stuff... i ran 12/2 in 1/2" conduit for the garage but I used a 20amp breaker...i made everything look real nice using that conduit...anyway, the 12/2 I agree is probably best all around cuz of the lower resistance with the fatter wire! either way OK, except if that room will be running a bunch of appliances, girls blow dryers, radios, computers all that crap you maybe might consider running the 12/2 and go 20 amp...you are safe either way....remember to pull a permit!!!
        quote:Originally posted by hookerp

I am running the lines in my garage and have started downstairs using 12 2 wire with 15 amp breakers. Would it be ok to pull 14 2 and 15 amp breakers upstairs? Anything hazardous in doing this?

The upstairs is going to be a studio appartment for two colledg girls. I want to make suer it is safe for them.

Thanks
        It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
        It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

I like using 12 gauge everywhere, it's not that much more $$$ and it gives you the option of upgrading the breaker for more power if needed. If you run 14 gauge then you're stuck

Comment

Working...
          X
          =