Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splicing a 15amp circuit using 12/2:14/2

there has been a design change in the bathroom per the electrical inspector....long story short..

I had too many 12/2 wires going into a fixture's electrical box.

i have to run 14/2- 15amp circuit.

so as not to waste the 12/2 i already ran, I want to splice this into the 14/2 that I'll run from the panel in an accesible j-box.

they will both service the exhaust fan, one side for the fan and the other 2 for the night light and light on separate sides of the bathroom.

I am pretty sure I can do this since it is a 15amp circuit, i will splice inside the j-box and everything will be accessible.

right?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

You can combine the two different wire gauges together on a 15 amp circuit, but only if the 14-2/g is connected to the breaker in the panel. The reason for this is so anyone ever looking in the panel knows that this circuit is run using 14 gauge and must be protected by a 15 amp breaker max. Then make your splices in the remote junction box using both 14 and 12 gauge wireing.

Comment

#12 wire occupies 2.25 cu in per conductor, #14 is 2.00 cu in. Table 370-16 shows all the cu in displacements and the table before this shows max wires within a definite purpose box.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

You can combine the two different wire gauges together on a 15 amp circuit, but only if the 14-2/g is connected to the breaker in the panel. The reason for this is so anyone ever looking in the panel knows that this circuit is run using 14 gauge and must be protected by a 15 amp breaker max. Then make your splices in the remote junction box using both 14 and 12 gauge wireing.
        I was going to replace that short section of 12/2 with the 14/2 bfore the inspection but i got sidetracked, and then the inspector mentioned this to me that although it is OK, you still want tot have it changed like you said to keep some moron in the future from thinking it is a 20 amp ready circuit...thanks for reply!!!! and thank you all for your helpful assistance , with the wire tables and all!

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
        It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

No problem, ask anytime. [8D]

Comment

Working...
          X
          =