Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead GFCI

A couple of weeks ago my front porch GFCI went dead which caused all my bathroom outlets (3) to be non functional. I had a test button with a light on this outlet and I was unable to test it, it had no reaction except for the light would flash for a split second, then go off, the buttons would not push in. I have no other outlets or lights that have gone out, seems to be limited to these 4 outlets. I assumed the outlet was bad, bought & i nstalled a new GFCI. Well, didn't help. My electrical work is very limited so I went to the local Home Depot and bought a receptacle tester and an outlet tester (the one with the 3 lights). When I plugged in the outlet tester, I received a "neutral contact not connected" or "open neutral" reaction.
    So, today I turned the power off to that outlet at the breaker box, took the new GFCI off, capped the wires and then turned the power back on. I tested the hot wire with my tester and no reaction, no power to the GFCI.
    Where now? Is my breaker possibly bad?

I am sure that Hayzee or Kactuskid will be able to offer a lot more insight on this problem, but on first inspection my gut feeling is that there perhaps the breaker is not reset correctly or there is either a loose connection where the wire attaches to the breaker or perhaps a loose connection in a junction box between the breaker and the GFCI location.

I would begin by manually switching the breaker to the full OFF position, then switch it back to the ON position. If that doesnt solve the problem you will probably have to examine the connections at all junctions on that line.

Comment

How did you test the hot wire?
      Just curious if you were using a tester that utilizes the neutral since your first test showed an open neutral.

Comment

The tester indicated an open neutral - this can be anywhere this line makes connections to the rest of the circuits and eventually back to the neutral strip inside the panel-box. Ideally the bathroom should be on its own circuit - NOT feeding other circuits. Evidently downstream of the gfci are the other outlets. Look where the gfci is receiving power from. If it's directly from the panelbox then check at the neutral strip. If not then check each junctionbox or outlet up to the porch circuit. A neutral came loose.

Comment

I'm also curious to know how you tested for power at the GFCI wires. Did you measure with a voltage tester from the black wire to ground? What did you use for ground?

Comment

If you have a good equipment ground (metal box) check between the bare ground wire and the hot wire. Same holds true for a plastic box. Just look for the bare ground wire. The bare ground and the neutral end up at the same place - the neutral strip in the panelbox.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =